Re: [The Ileostomy Group] Re: Just A Little Poem

  • ann jones
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi Kay
      Thanks for getting back to me. It is a tad confusing when you are new to all this. I am experimenting with different foods now and have had some salads like you say the watery types I even had some spare ribs in mandarin sauce, but will save those for a special treat in future as my pouch was really making a racket afterwoods. I tried to drink as much as I can and always seem to have a bottle of water in my hand, and I have noticed that sometimes I do get quite thirsty. Food is so different now as my attitude and way of seeing food has all changed like every-one with a stoma, but i am getting there and learning new things all the time.
      Thankyou once again you put my mind at rest.
      Ann in the UK

      Kay <keeshamisty@...> wrote: Hi Ann,
      Don't be alarmed. You would still be following the recommendations of
      the surgeon/ostomy nurse with your diet as you are still a "newbie"
      .... take things very easy in the beginning as all the insides are
      still healing and the bowel is very sensitive and HATES to be touched,
      let alone cut up!!
      Just take note of what this silly veteran has just gone through and be
      extra careful when trying raw salad vegetables ... especially the hard
      ones like carrot!! As I said before, once my bowel healed and my new
      plumbing started compensating for the loss of the colon I found I
      could experiment with more and more foods ... the trick there is to
      try a little at a time and leave a couple of days between each trial
      to make sure you know which food is the one that caused any issues....

      I did find I was able to eat salads in moderation if I grated the
      carrots (a small amount) and ate iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, a small
      amount of cucumber etc ... watery type salads ... BUT if I had it for
      one meal I certainly wouldn't have it for the other ...

      Right now?? No solid food for me for a while!!! My poor insides are so
      very sore and swollen.

      You asked how you would know you had an obstruction;

      You will feel pressure like cramps and you will notice a change in
      your output. The output may decrease or may become VERY liquid when
      the obstruction is mild or just beginning .... leading up to no output
      with a lot of pain for a total obstruction.

      If you feel the first pressure cramps drink clear liquids - and as
      long as there is still output (that is the blockage is not total ....
      NIL BY MOUTH for a total blockage and seek emergency help) drink a can
      of coke ... great drain cleaner!! .. a warm bath or shower also helps
      to move the blockage through .... If it doesn't work contact your
      doctor and ask for advice...

      I got a lot of blockages (non-total) in the early days as I was
      healing because my small bowel used to twist on itself ... it will
      still do that on occasions but I have learnt what will set that off
      for me (different positions and stretches to avoid in my case)

      The one total blockage I had was due to a food bolus and luckily was
      cleared by an endoscope .. no open surgery!!
      This one cleared itself ... thank goodness for morphine in the
      meantime!!! LOL!!

      In the early days when I first went back to teaching I was a bit
      paranoid about thickening the output so I didn't have to leave the
      classroom to go to the toilet other than break times..... that caused
      a few problems at times because I would hold off on the liquids and
      eat a lot of thickening foods ... eg porridge and bananas .. before
      starting work and then nothing while working .... NOT A WISE THING!!!

      In other words make sure you keep up the liquids and experiment with
      the quantities of thickening foods ... don't include too many together..

      So if you haven't had a blockage up to date ... don't panic about my
      the good work and experiment with different foods slowly ....

      big hugs,
      Kay :)

      --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "f.iddie" <f.iddie@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pat and Kay
      > Kay I am sorry you have had a bad time with the obstruction and hope
      > you are soon feeling better and Pat chew chew chew is all we do lol.
      > I would like to know what happens when you get obstruction. After
      > reading both accounts I will never get away from dinner table or live
      > on soups
      > Ann in the UK
      >

      > In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Connaughan" <pat.connaughan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Kay
      > >
      > > Take your time with that scanning. It is no big emergency. It has
      > been my
      > > experience with raw carrots that no matter how much I chew them, I
      don't
      > > digest them. It's the same with anything raw. Sometimes I pass them
      > > sooner, sometimes later but unless I'm making my own salad and know
      > how thin
      > > and small to cut the pieces, I avoid anything raw like the plague.
      One

    • ALJPUPPYGIRL@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
        It seems that ever since I have had my ileostomy I don't lose the weight I should. I have trouble digesting the "good" foods, so I'm stuck eating starchy foods. But those don't seem to stick around long either. I try to keep the stool thicker with Immodium which works sometimes. I just don't understand that for food that goes through faster, shouldn't I be smaller? How much exercise do you all get and what do you do for exercise? I try to go walking when my schedule allows. Is this going to be the only good way to get thin?
        Any advise, please?

        Angie
        US, Kentucky

        ------------------------------------

        The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

        |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

      • Kay
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Angie,

          Mmmmm?? I too have trouble with excess weight (as you would have
          gathered from my recent posts) so I am probably not the one to give
          advice here .... I will keep you guys all posted on the results of
          this most recent weight loss attempt though!

          My dietitian recently told me that my diet was excellent but that I
          probably was not eating quite enough carbs or dairy ..... still fat
          though! ... go figure?? (I suspect the massive, regular doses of
          cortisone up to the last 12 months may have helped that along)

          I will follow this thread with interest, looking forward to hearing
          other peoples experiences and suggestions

          Cheers, Kay :)

          --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, ALJPUPPYGIRL@... wrote:

          > It seems that ever since I have had my ileostomy I don't lose the
          weight I should. I have trouble digesting the "good" foods, so I'm
          stuck eating starchy foods. But those don't seem to stick around long
          either. I try to keep the stool thicker with Immodium which works
          sometimes. I just don't understand that for food that goes through
          faster, shouldn't I be smaller? How much exercise do you all get and
          what do you do for exercise? I try to go walking when my schedule
          allows. Is this going to be the only good way to get thin?
          > Any advise, please?
          >
          > Angie
          > US, Kentucky

        • ann jones
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi Kay
            I was very overwieght before I had my op and lost a lot of weight due to being in intensive care for 6 weeks and being drip fed for 9 weeks. I am half the size I was and do not want to put any more weight back on, which I have not but have not been able to lose any as well, and I too would like any ideas.
            I know that if i eat salads and stuff I just end up with a bag of water. I would reallly be intersted in a good weight loss programme for people like us as a lot of we are told to eat is foods that make you put on the pounds
            Ann in the UK

            Kay <keeshamisty@...> wrote: Hi Angie,

          • Pat Connaughan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
              Hi Kay

              I found your reply very interesting. Potatoes don't do anything to me one
              way or another. I have never been a great potato eater anyway so it
              wouldn't bother me to give them up. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, turnip and
              squash are a whole different ball game. They all agree with me and also
              thicken my output. I wonder if that is from the starch although I wouldn't
              consider squash to be starchy. All of the above are "yellow" on the GI
              diet. There is nothing about turnip so I don't know where that would fall.
              I have eaten so many carrots (cooked of course) that I don't care if I ever
              see another one again. I am also allowed to have bread and rice, both of
              which are "red". The nurse that used to come in to see me told me about the
              "BRAT" diet. It is nothing but bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (dry but
              I cheated). It is well tolerated even by children and helps slow down and
              thicken your output. According to the GI diet unsweetened applesauce is the
              only thing which is "green".

              That is why I'm not going to bother even scanning the few pages that chart
              all of the foods. There are just too many "green" foods that I can't
              handle. I'm just going to stick with what the dietician told me to eat and
              with what I know I can handle.

              Congratulations on losing so much weight. You are right, though. Most of
              it is probably fluid. I was trying on some of my summer dresses today - I
              figured I might as well get them out even though the weather hasn't been
              warm enough to wear them - and told Jim that I thought I had lost a bit of
              weight. I got on the scales and have lost a whole 2.3 kilo (5 pounds) in
              the past 2 months. I know that it's not that I have changed what I eat at
              meal time as much as it is that I have stopped snacking between meals. If I
              could lose another 5-6 kilo I would be so happy.

              When I get a craving and want to chew something, I get some crushed ice out
              of the freezer. I used to put ice cubes in a plastic bag and bang the heck
              out of them with a meat mallet. I only did that when Jim wasn't home or I
              could do it outside. We bought a new fridge a couple of months ago and I
              insisted that it have a crushed ice dispenser. Jim, being the wonderful
              husband that he is, agreed so I got a side by side with an ice and water
              dispenser. Now it crushes the ice for me. The only problem is that the dog
              is still terrified of the noise it makes and runs and hides every time I use
              it. Then he comes back to see if I dropped any little chips on the floor
              and licks up any that he can find. I got hooked on crushed ice when I was
              in the hospital. The pieces are small enough that I won't break my teeth
              but big enough that they satisfy my craving for something to chew. Plus,
              I'm getting extra fluid which I can always use.

              I hope you're soon feeling back to normal and can start eating again.

              Pat in Ontario
            • Kay
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                Ahhhhhhh!! Ice chips!! I too fell in love with them when in hospital.
                I find ice so soothing when I have heartburn or nausea but ....
                crushed is the way to go .... I just got back from the dentist after
                having a tooth rebuilt!!!

                I am still having a few problems re that blockage so food is not an
                issue for me at the moment I must say (still very sore and swollen so
                not game to add anything solid)

                Take care & will keep you posted,
                cheers, Kay :)

                <pat.connaughan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > husband that he is, agreed so I got a side by side with an ice and water
                > dispenser. Now it crushes the ice for me. The only problem is that
                the dog
                > is still terrified of the noise it makes and runs and hides every
                time I use
                > it. Then he comes back to see if I dropped any little chips on the
                floor
                > and licks up any that he can find. I got hooked on crushed ice when
                I was
                > in the hospital. The pieces are small enough that I won't break my
                teeth
                > but big enough that they satisfy my craving for something to chew.
                Plus,
                > I'm getting extra fluid which I can always use.
                >
                > I hope you're soon feeling back to normal and can start eating again.

              • Pat Connaughan
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Hi Kay and Ann

                  Everybody is so different in what they can and can't eat that is really a
                  matter of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. There is a
                  gentleman who belongs to the same Crohn's group as I do. He lives in Mexico
                  and can't get along without a lot of hot, spice food. When he started
                  listing what he eats, I could hear Sadie groaning. He also has an ostomy
                  but thrives on spicy foods. For me, I eat a watery salad but that is about
                  the extent of raw veggies that I eat. The one exception is in the summer
                  when the fresh green peas are ready. I know I'm not going to totally digest
                  them but I have a neighbor and a nephew who keep me supplied during the
                  short season. I know I'm going to pass them but they are so good going down
                  that I can't resist them.

                  Part of my problem is that because Sadie is temporary I do still have part
                  of my colon left. Mind you, there isn't much of it but there is a little.
                  That is one of the reasons that I am reluctant to try another reversal. I
                  honestly don't feel that there is enough to reconnect. I have had problems
                  twice now with the sutures not holding and that is what I'm afraid might
                  happen again. I have to be extra careful in what I eat so that I don't get
                  another blockage.

                  To the best of my knowledge I have only had one but it was a doozy. I
                  started to get a little bit constipated and had some minor pain but I didn't
                  really pay attention. As time went on I got more constipated and the pain
                  got worse. I told my GCP that I wanted to see a particular gastro in
                  Ottawa. As it turns out he was on a sabbatical in the far east teaching
                  doctors over there how to treat CD, UC and IBS. It was 6 months until my
                  GCP was finally able to get in touch with him and I got an appointment. He
                  took me off the meds I was on and put me on prednisone. He also ordered a
                  CT scan and colonoscopy. When he went to do the scope he was only able to
                  go a short distance into my colon because it was so badly inflamed and
                  blocked. I was in to see him one day and I was in such pain that he wanted
                  to admit me right away. I convinced him to let me go home but promised that
                  I would come back and get admitted through the ER if things got worse. The
                  next week I was back. To make a long story short, that is how Sadie came to
                  be. The surgeon removed 65% of my colon because of the blockage and CD.
                  The sutures didn't hold and I ended up with peritonitis and septic shock.
                  When I went to see my gastro last fall and told him about the pain I was
                  having he immediately thought either a CD flare or another obstruction. He
                  did another scope and had another CT scan done but nothing showed up. I
                  still have the pain but not nearly as bad since I have been doing what I was
                  told for once. No heavy lifting, bending or stretching. About the only
                  exercise I can do is to walk. My puppy makes sure that I get out for 20-30
                  minutes twice a day for a stroll with him. When the weather is good I also
                  try to go out for a more vigorous 30 minute walk but that isn't always
                  possible. It has been raining for close to a week now.

                  Ann, as Kay said, if you introduce new foods slowly you will learn by trial
                  and error what is going to agree with you and what isn't. I'm still trying
                  new things and it has been 3 1/2 years since I had my first ostomy surgery.

                  Pat in Ontario
                • Pat Connaughan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                    Hi Angie

                    You have hit the nail right on the head. When I had my last two surgeries I
                    went into hospital weighing 145 and came out 5 weeks later at 108. I had
                    bones sticking out in places I didn't even know I had bones. Within a year
                    I had put most of it back on despite not eating nearly as much as I used to
                    and having a high output that is very watery. I have never been able to
                    figure that one out myself. I put on 5 pounds over the last year but have
                    pretty well plateaued out. Two months ago I learned that I am borderline
                    Type 2 diabetic. I have lost those 5 pounds but that is because I have
                    really cut down on my sugar intake.

                    I too eat a lot more starchy food than I should because that is what I
                    digest the best. I guess the food passes through us but the starch stays
                    behind. I have also found that when I eat starchy foods - especially pasta
                    - my output slows down and thickens up.

                    I have damaged stomach muscles from having 4 major bowel surgeries in 13
                    months. That's along with all the scar tissue and adhesions. My doctor
                    says it may heal itself but it will take up to 5 years or more. In the
                    meantime, I can't do any bending, stretching or lift more than 10 pounds.
                    That kind of rules out most exercise. I walk my dog - actually it's more
                    like a stroll - twice a day for 20-30 minutes each time. I do try to get
                    out every morning for a 30 minutes walk at a brisker pace but only when the
                    weather is good. We have been having so much rain lately that I haven't
                    been out for a few days now.

                    Pat in Ontario
                  • Pat Connaughan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Hi Kay

                      I was in a bit of a funk tonight so I blew the diet. I had some ice cream
                      for dessert and now I'm paying for it. Sadie is running like a tap and I
                      know when I check my blood sugar tonight that it will be up. I know I
                      shouldn't have had it but I have no will power at all. I wish I was more
                      like my dad in that respect. When he was diagnosed he gave up everything
                      with sugar in it and that was that. There were times that I think he let it
                      get too low but it never seemed to bother him. Jim keeps a pretty close eye
                      on me to make sure I stay away from sugar but he can't watch me 24/7.

                      When I came home from walking the dog this morning, I knew he was chewing on
                      something. It turns out that he had swiped one of my sugar free candies.
                      He couldn't believe it when I told him how much they cost and that they were
                      for special occasions only. I don't know about you but I have found that
                      all of those "specialty foods" like sugar free candy etc cost an arm and a
                      leg when you compare them to the regular ones. And the packages are so
                      small it's ridiculous.

                      Pat in Ontario
                    • Kay
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Hi Pat,
                        I just had a bit of a giggle at Jim eating your sugar free candy ....

                        I have been keeping a couple of wrapped sugar free lollies in my jeans
                        pocket (in case I get a case of the munchies)
                        Yesterday I was about to shower and dress to go out. I put my mobile
                        phone, some spare change and a couple of sugar free lollies on the bed
                        ready to be put into my pocket after dressing. As I was dressing in my
                        ensuite I could hear a crunching noise ..... was in my husband
                        crunching my lollies? NO ..... it was my very cute, extremely naughty
                        dog, Keesha who had sneaked into the bedroom, was laying on my bed
                        with oneempty wrapper and busy unwrapping the next lolly!!!! MMMMMM
                        .... too much artificial sweetener causes "the runs" so I thought she
                        may suffer later on in the day!!! LOL!

                        Hey don't beat yourself up over eating a bit of icecream .... it is Ok
                        to treat yourself occasionally and as you say, Sadie is letting you
                        know that icecream is an occasional food in small amounts only anyway
                        LOL!!! As long as most of your diabetic diet is on the straight and
                        narrow ... sugar is not the enemy we once thought ... a little is OK
                        (as long as we know what little really means I guess)

                        I had my first solid food at lunch time today ..... so far so good!!!
                        I am still sticking fairly closely to my Optifast diet because ...
                        health-wise .. I need to shed some of this excess weight ....
                        hopefully I will continue to lose steadily ... cross your fingers for me,

                        Take care,
                        Kay :)

                        <pat.connaughan@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Kay
                        >
                        > I was in a bit of a funk tonight so I blew the diet. I had some ice
                        cream
                        > for dessert and now I'm paying for it. Sadie is running like a tap
                        and I
                        > know when I check my blood sugar tonight that it will be up. I know I
                        > shouldn't have had it but I have no will power at all. I wish I was
                        more
                        > like my dad in that respect. When he was diagnosed he gave up
                        everything
                        > with sugar in it and that was that. There were times that I think
                        he let it
                        > get too low but it never seemed to bother him. Jim keeps a pretty
                        close eye
                        > on me to make sure I stay away from sugar but he can't watch me 24/7.
                        >
                        > When I came home from walking the dog this morning, I knew he was
                        chewing on
                        > something. It turns out that he had swiped one of my sugar free
                        candies.
                        > He couldn't believe it when I told him how much they cost and that
                        they were
                        > for special occasions only. I don't know about you but I have found
                        that
                        > all of those "specialty foods" like sugar free candy etc cost an arm
                        and a
                        > leg when you compare them to the regular ones. And the packages are so
                        > small it's ridiculous.
                        >
                        > Pat in Ontario

                      • Pat Connaughan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 7, 2008
                          Hi Kay

                          What kind of dog is Keesha? I have an adorable little fur ball named Casey.
                          He is mostly Bichon but has a little bit of Terrier in him. He has gotten
                          into his fair share of trouble over the years but I have to admit that he
                          has never gotten into the candy. I guess he doesn't have a sweet tooth like
                          I do. He does love the occasional tiny dish of ice cream, though.

                          I'm so glad to hear that you were able to eat some solid food. It must have
                          tasted so good. I checked my blood sugar before lunch and it was a lot
                          higher than I would have liked it to be so I had my "healthy" lunch. I take
                          200gm of 1% cottage cheese and chop up whatever I find in the fridge into
                          little, tiny pieces. Today it was tomato, cucumber and some really thinly
                          sliced cooked ham. I mixed in a little mozzarella cheese. I really enjoyed
                          it and I know when I check my blood sugar at supper that it will be back to
                          where I want it.

                          I don't know what you call it in OZ but I think I'm going to switch to
                          sherbet. I was comparing sugar free ice cream, frozen yogurt and sherbet
                          the other day and the sherbet has the fewest calories and carbs. It also
                          doesn't have any milk in it so I don't have to worry about Sadie having a
                          hissy fit. It's also a lot cheaper than the other two and comes in smaller
                          containers so I don't take up a lot of room in the freezer. I can also keep
                          a couple of different flavours on hand so I don't get tired of eating the
                          same one all the time.

                          Keep us posted on how your weight loss is coming along. Do you have to meet
                          with the dietician again or was that a one shot deal?

                          Pat in Ontario
                        • Pat Connaughan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 7, 2008
                            Hi All

                            I made a mistake. Despite Canada having supposedly gone metric 25 or so
                            years ago, I still have trouble converting ounces to grams. I did not eat
                            200g of cottage cheese for lunch. That is almost 8 ounces. I ate just over
                            100g or 4 ounces along with the tomato, cucumber etc. I don't know how much
                            the total amount was but it sure did the trick bringing down my blood sugar.
                            I checked it before supper and it was down to about the same as it was when
                            I got up this morning. You just have to love what that cottage cheese will
                            do for you. :>)

                            Pat in Ontario
                          • Kay
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 8, 2008
                              Hi Pat,
                              Keesha is a Keeshond (Dutch barge Dog) ... she is a sweetie but has a
                              bit of a naughty & stubborn steak (I like that actually). My daughter
                              (our grown up son and daughter still live with us) has a Weimaraner
                              named Bailey ... my grand-dog. Dogs are such wonderful companions ...
                              unconditional, all-encompassing love!!

                              Cottage cheese brings down the blood glucose levels?? MMMM must try
                              that one. I quite like cottage cheese when mixed with salads etc.

                              Sherbet?? That sounds like what we call Gelati over here but not sure
                              ...I love Gelati ... a water based ice confection - comes in so many
                              lovely flavours.... no dairy, no fat but I think it is still high in
                              sugar though but very very yummy!!! We have something else here called
                              Vitari and that is just made from fruit but is whipped up like
                              icecream ... yummmmmmm!!

                              Weight loss programme is still going well ... my clothes are getting a
                              lot looser on me ... so far so good .... I have decided to add the
                              allowed veggies back into my daily diet but have boiled them up as a
                              soup and then pureed them (Harriett is still not totally back to
                              normal so I would rather take things easy still).

                              I see the dietitian again in another couple of weeks ... not sure how
                              she will feel about this diet .. my cardiologist is the one that put
                              me on it ...

                              I will let you know if she gives me any more good info .... and I will
                              get around to scanning that other stuff for you soon too (now that I
                              am feeling a bit better)

                              Take care,
                              cheers, Kay :)
                              (from Australia)

                              <pat.connaughan@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Kay
                              >
                              > What kind of dog is Keesha? I have an adorable little fur ball
                              named Casey.
                              > He is mostly Bichon but has a little bit of Terrier in him. He has
                              gotten
                              > into his fair share of trouble over the years but I have to admit
                              that he
                              > has never gotten into the candy. I guess he doesn't have a sweet
                              tooth like
                              > I do. He does love the occasional tiny dish of ice cream, though.
                              >
                              > I'm so glad to hear that you were able to eat some solid food. It
                              must have
                              > tasted so good. I checked my blood sugar before lunch and it was a lot
                              > higher than I would have liked it to be so I had my "healthy" lunch.
                              I take
                              > 200gm of 1% cottage cheese and chop up whatever I find in the fridge
                              into
                              > little, tiny pieces. Today it was tomato, cucumber and some really
                              thinly
                              > sliced cooked ham. I mixed in a little mozzarella cheese. I really
                              enjoyed
                              > it and I know when I check my blood sugar at supper that it will be
                              back to
                              > where I want it.
                              >
                              > I don't know what you call it in OZ but I think I'm going to switch to
                              > sherbet. I was comparing sugar free ice cream, frozen yogurt and
                              sherbet
                              > the other day and the sherbet has the fewest calories and carbs. It
                              also
                              > doesn't have any milk in it so I don't have to worry about Sadie
                              having a
                              > hissy fit. It's also a lot cheaper than the other two and comes in
                              smaller
                              > containers so I don't take up a lot of room in the freezer. I can
                              also keep
                              > a couple of different flavours on hand so I don't get tired of
                              eating the
                              > same one all the time.
                              >
                              > Keep us posted on how your weight loss is coming along. Do you have
                              to meet
                              > with the dietician again or was that a one shot deal?
                              >
                              > Pat in Ontario

                            • Pat Connaughan
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 11, 2008
                                Hi Kay

                                I have to admit that while I have heard of both breeds of dogs, I had to go
                                onto the net to see what they look like. How does Keesha stand your summer
                                heat with all of that fur? Casey also has two coats but we keep his fur
                                fairly short - especially in summer. He's like me. He can't stand the heat
                                and he doesn't have nearly as much fur as Keesha. If Bailey looks anything
                                like the picture I saw, he (?) is a very regal animal. The first time I
                                went into hospital Jim said that Casey spent all of his time sleeping or
                                just laying in the middle of my bed. When I came home after 5 weeks, he
                                would lay right beside me except to eat and go outside. It was the same
                                after I came home the second time. When I had to go back in a week later
                                for 2 weeks, he was a little bit leery the first few days after I came back
                                home. It seemed as if he was almost afraid that I was going to go and leave
                                him again. Even with all the tubes I had in me when I was at home, he never
                                bothered with them at all. The funniest thing was when the home nurse came
                                in to clean my PICC line. It is supposed to be done under sterile
                                conditions so both of us would be wearing a mask. There was Casey, though,
                                with his head resting on my chest watching every move she made. We tried
                                putting a mask on him but that didn't work but we let him stay in the room
                                anyway.

                                I'm not saying that cottage cheese will lower your GI but every time I eat
                                it for lunch my blood sugar drops like a rock in water. It has to be either
                                1% or no fat though. I do remember seeing in that GI diet book that low fat
                                cottage cheese was a "green" or very good food. I love it so I'm starting
                                to substitute it for potatoes at supper.

                                You may be right that sherbet and gelati are the same thing. I bought some
                                today and noticed that a 125ml serving has 12g of sugar but there is no fat,
                                cholesterol or milk in it. When I measured out the serving, I couldn't
                                believe how much there was. I could cut a serving in half with no problem
                                and then get half the sugar as a bonus.

                                I was in to see my GCP last week and took him in a chart with all of my
                                blood sugar readings for the past 4 weeks. I didn't know if I should
                                increase my med or not. Although the readings have been getting lower, he
                                wasn't happy with the way they were going from low to high and back down to
                                low so he told me to add another pill to see what happened. I think it is
                                working. Since Sun, my levels have been much more steady. There has been
                                some fluctuation but nothing like what it had been. He wants me to stay
                                below 7.0 which I have managed to do all week. There is only once that I
                                have been over 7 and that was at lunch today. I didn't get up as early this
                                morning as I usually do so I was later eating breakfast and there wasn't as
                                much time before I checked it before lunch as there usually is.

                                I picked up a very informative book at the library yesterday. It is written
                                by a Canadian and is for Canadians with Type 2. There are a few chapters
                                that I can skip because they don't apply to me but what I have read so far
                                is very interesting. The only complaint I have is that there isn't a lot of
                                discussion about specific foods which will help to lower your GI.

                                Please mention the cottage cheese to your dietician the next time you see
                                her. I would be interested to hear what she has to say. The one that I was
                                seeing said that as long as I could tolerate it (I'm borderline lactose
                                intolerant) then go for it. I don't see her anymore but I know I can call
                                her anytime I want which is nice.

                                Keep up the good work with the weight loss. I have lost another kg and have
                                started to notice that my abdomen isn't as bloated as it was and some of my
                                clothes that were a little on the snug side are getting looser which is good
                                news.

                                Pat in Ontario