April 4 bullletin, Palatine Kiwanis

  • Jim Dewey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2011

                The Palatine Kiwanian www.palatinekiwanis.com

      Serving the Palatine Community since 1960 ***April 5, 2011

      New member joins club

      We welcomed Jayne Elvey to the club today as a new member.  Her formal initiation will occur soon. Jayne is a banker at the American Chartered Bank on Euclid Ave. in Palatine .  A regional, privately-owned bank, ACB has 15 branches in Illinois , two nearby.  Jayne is originally from Milwaukee and has lived in the Chicago area for over 15 years.  Nevertheless, she is an avid Packers fan, explaining you can take the person out of Wisconsin , but you can’t take the Wisconsin out of the person.

      I Compete! Continues to serve area youths

      Christina Lara, of the Palatine Park District, updated us on the I Compete! Programs for at-risk kids.  The goal of the program is to provide them a safe environment that includes various educational, social, and recreational activities, after school and during the summer.  They have already served over 500 kids, and their goal is to reach 2000 of them who have no access to inexpensive or free recreational or extracurricular activities.  They partner with Palatine High School , District 15, and the Palatine Opportunity Center to provide programs:

      ·        1 week simmer clinics for various popular sports

      ·        Group guitar lessons

      ·        An after school club for 35 elementary school students

      ·        Running clubs

      ·        Pirate Passport events at PHS athletic events

      ·        Pirate Pete Fun run

      ·        Fall soccer fest

      ·        Winter spot shot

      ·        Wrestling club

      ·        Revelation golf program

      In a special board meeting for the purpose, a quorum being present, the club voted to approve up to $500 for T-shirts for sports participants with the Kiwanis logo, at $4 per shirt.

      Kiwanis One Day was a success

      Seven members of the Club donated their time for the project: Tom Kramer, Dennis Kemp, Jim Parker, Jim Dewey, Don Bextel, Len Mazurowski and project organizer Ross Ketelboeter received the gratitude of the resident at the end of the job.  Left to right:  Jim Dewey, Don Bextel, Jim Parker, Tom Kramer, Len Mazurowski, and Ross Ketelboeter.  Photo by Dennis Kemp.

      Other news…
      Don Bextel announced a Straight Talk presentation this coming Saturday at Trinity International University , 2065  Half Day Road, 7:30-9 am.  Joe Kessack will be the featured speaker. Those interested in attending should contact Don.
      Plans for this year’s Kite Fly on April 30 are taking shape.  Activities will include a Kiwanis tent and kite repair service and free kites for participants.  Posters with the Kiwanis logo are being distributed.
      Dick Helland is arranging an outing to the Marriott Dinner Theatre on April 28 to see 42nd Street.    Those interested should contact him ASAP, 359-0139.  The cost is $55 per person for dinner and the show.
      Our 2nd Poker Tournament of 2011 on Monday, March 28 at the Meridian Banquet Hall in Arlington Heights was successful.  Although the turnout was lower than past events, the amount earned by the club was higher than the recent past.   Dennis Kemp discussed future tournaments this year and next that are in the preliminary planning stage.
      Dick Helland is looking for items for the silent auction and the raffle at the upcoming Brewmaster’s Dinner on June 14.

      Murphy’s Laws

      If it looks good,
      And it taste good,
      And it feels good,
      There has got to be something wrong somewhere,
      So be careful.

      Two heads are better than one, even if one is a sheep head.

      Today’s Inspirational Quotes:

      The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

      F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896 – 1940)

      Our national flower is the concrete cloverleaf.

      Lewis Mumford (1895 - 1990)

      Spouses’ Birthdays

      Kelly Ketelboeter, April 17

      Marcia Dewey, May 13

      Pam Hertz, July 30

      Jim Dewey, April 28

      Dave Yahn, June 16

      Len Mazurowski, June 22

      Spouses’ Birthdays

      Harriet Jessen, December 31

      Bob Jessen, December 1

      Ed Laskowski, December 10

      Roy Marzano, December 22

      Marcia and Jim Dewey, June 22

      Jo Ann and Don Jacobs, June 22

      Jolinda and Jack Brynildssen, July 7

      Nancy and Art Funk, July 13

      Important Events Coming Up

      Watch for these upcoming dates:

      Second and fourth Wednesday of the week during the school year:  Builders Club meets at Sundling Junior High School .  Kiwanis members are welcome to attend.

      Ø       First Wednesday of the month:  Division Council Meeting, 6:30 PM, Faith Lutheran Church , 431 S. Arlington Heights Road , Arlington Heights

      Ø       April 12: Noon Meeting, Board Meeting

      Ø       April 19:  Evening meeting

      Ø       April 26:  Evening meeting

      Ø       April 28:  Marriott Dinner Theater; 42nd Street

      Ø       April 30:  Kite Fly, Palatine Park District

      Ø       June 14, Brewmaster’s Dinner, Emmett’s

      Ø       July 7-10: International Convention, Geneva , Switzerland

      Ø       August 4-7:  I-I District Convention, Davenport IA

      Ø       September 23-24: PEANUT DAY

      Jim Dewey

      Home Phone: 847-438-4769
      Cell: 224-420-0871