lp conversion for 154

  • russih154
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      Has anyone here ever converted to lp (propane)? I have a 1974 154 I
      have converted many other machines to lp with great success. But would
      appreciate any comments form someone who's already taken this path.
      Thanks Russ
    • russih154
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
          I cannot see any problem with converting the C-60 engine to propane as
          far as the mechanical part goes. But, from what I know of propane, it
          provides somewhat less power than gasoline in the same engine, and one
          thing that the 154 does NOT need is less power.

          Mike

          --
          Mike Sloane
          Allamuchy NJ

          At times it may be necessary to temporarily accept a lesser evil,
          but one must never label a necessary evil as good.
          -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)
        • Dax DeCelle
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
            I agree with Mike. Where do you put the tanks? I just looked at a Farmall Super A that the owner had converted to LP gas and he had butchered it by removing the original gas tank and replacing it with a 5 gallon LP tank. If you are a farmer and only concerned with finances, I suppose that that is just fine, however as a collector and "farmer," it breaks my heart to see a classic butchered. I have also seen a Farmall H that was switchable between LP and gasoline and they had made a shelf on the front of the tractor to hold the Lp tank. It looked a lot better and didn't destroy the value of the tractor. That is just my two cents.

            --
            Mike Sloane
            Allamuchy NJ
            Website: <www.geocities. com/mikesloane>
            Images: <www.fotki.com/ mikesloane>

            At times it may be necessary to temporarily accept a lesser evil,
            but one must never label a necessary evil as good.
            -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)

          • Gene Lynch
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
              I notice that in car engines they raise the compression to get more power from propane. However I would NOT advise doing that with the C60 engine.
              Gene

              --
              Mike Sloane
              Allamuchy NJ
              Website: <www.geocities. com/mikesloane>
              Images: <www.fotki.com/ mikesloane>

              At times it may be necessary to temporarily accept a lesser evil,
              but one must never label a necessary evil as good.
              -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)

              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.430 / Virus Database: 268.15.3/562 - Release Date: 12/1/06 1:12 PM