Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Carb Kit

  • rbsfarmalls
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
      It will only run with the choke nearly closed. I think the float is
      sticking or there is some crud hung up in there. I do have good flow to
      the carb, and when I pulled the filter it was pretty dirty. I cleaned
      it, and its better, but still not quite right.If I let it sit for a
      while, like an hour, it runs fines for a few minutes without any choke
      them spits and sputters and only choking will help.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
        Generally, when I hear that an engine will only run with the choke
        nearly closed, that tells me that there is a vacuum leak somewhere - the
        engine is getting too much air and not enough fuel. I use an unlit
        propane torch, crack the valve open a little, and move the torch head
        slowly around the head, intake manifold, and carburetor while the engine
        is idling. When the propane gets sucked into the system, the engine
        speed will pick up. You have to go slow because it take a second or so
        for the propane to get sucked into the combustion chambers.

        If nothing else, using this process will eliminate one of the
        possibilities, and it doesn't cost much.

        Mike

        --
        Mike Sloane
        Allamuchy NJ

        There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as
        the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where
        neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest
        consideration. -Andrew Carnegie, industrialist (1835-1919)

      • Ed Istwan
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
          I have used the propane method and works well, I would also verify the carb gets adequate fuel flow.
          Ed

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
            I know about the propane method of doing that, but my problem is
            nothing more than, most likely, some debris of some sort has gotten
            hung up in the needle and seat assmebly and will only let so much gas
            get by at once. I do have several other tractors in the barn besides
            this 154.If I put the carb off of my 49 Cub it runs fine. Wht the
            Zenith on my 49 it does the same as on the 154. I have done all I can
            think of without taking the Zenith apart to clean it out but have not
            had any luck doing that.All I neeed to know is if this carb is the same
            as later carbs listed for the Cub/Loboy.
          • David Roberge
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
              Could be a leak or it might be crap stuck in the fuel inlet.  I had this problem with my cub.  First I removed the fuel line and cleaned out the fuel bowl under the fuel tank.  then I'd check where the fuel line goes into the carb.  If anything gets past the fuel screen at the tank it will settle at the inlet fitting screen at the carb.

              It appeared that fine particles of dirt would find there way down into the carb and begin to gum up the mesh screen where the fuel line connects to the carb.  After cleaning the carb and this inlet two or three times,  I cut the steel fuel line and put a small inline automotive type fuel filter in and so far no problems. Its been around six months of running the machine 3-4 hours a week

              Dave in Ct

              <mikesloane@verizon. net>