Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Carb Kit

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
      Just out of curiosity, why are you in need of a carb kit for a three
      year old carburetor? I have rebuilt carburetors that were 20 or more
      years old, but never brand new ones. Maybe you have problems other than
      the carburetor.

      Mike

      --
      Mike Sloane
      Allamuchy NJ

      Klaatu barada nikto

    • rbsfarmalls
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
        It will only run with the choke nearly closed. I think the float is
        sticking or there is some crud hung up in there. I do have good flow to
        the carb, and when I pulled the filter it was pretty dirty. I cleaned
        it, and its better, but still not quite right.If I let it sit for a
        while, like an hour, it runs fines for a few minutes without any choke
        them spits and sputters and only choking will help.
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
          Generally, when I hear that an engine will only run with the choke
          nearly closed, that tells me that there is a vacuum leak somewhere - the
          engine is getting too much air and not enough fuel. I use an unlit
          propane torch, crack the valve open a little, and move the torch head
          slowly around the head, intake manifold, and carburetor while the engine
          is idling. When the propane gets sucked into the system, the engine
          speed will pick up. You have to go slow because it take a second or so
          for the propane to get sucked into the combustion chambers.

          If nothing else, using this process will eliminate one of the
          possibilities, and it doesn't cost much.

          Mike

          rbsfarmalls wrote:

          > It will only run with the choke nearly closed. I think the float is
          > sticking or there is some crud hung up in there. I do have good flow to
          > the carb, and when I pulled the filter it was pretty dirty. I cleaned
          > it, and its better, but still not quite right.If I let it sit for a
          > while, like an hour, it runs fines for a few minutes without any choke
          > them spits and sputters and only choking will help.

          --
          Mike Sloane
          Allamuchy NJ
          <mikesloane@...>
          Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
          Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

          There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as
          the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where
          neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest
          consideration. -Andrew Carnegie, industrialist (1835-1919)

        • Ed Istwan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
            I have used the propane method and works well, I would also verify the carb gets adequate fuel flow.
            Ed

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
              I know about the propane method of doing that, but my problem is
              nothing more than, most likely, some debris of some sort has gotten
              hung up in the needle and seat assmebly and will only let so much gas
              get by at once. I do have several other tractors in the barn besides
              this 154.If I put the carb off of my 49 Cub it runs fine. Wht the
              Zenith on my 49 it does the same as on the 154. I have done all I can
              think of without taking the Zenith apart to clean it out but have not
              had any luck doing that.All I neeed to know is if this carb is the same
              as later carbs listed for the Cub/Loboy.
            • David Roberge
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
                Could be a leak or it might be crap stuck in the fuel inlet.  I had this problem with my cub.  First I removed the fuel line and cleaned out the fuel bowl under the fuel tank.  then I'd check where the fuel line goes into the carb.  If anything gets past the fuel screen at the tank it will settle at the inlet fitting screen at the carb.

                It appeared that fine particles of dirt would find there way down into the carb and begin to gum up the mesh screen where the fuel line connects to the carb.  After cleaning the carb and this inlet two or three times,  I cut the steel fuel line and put a small inline automotive type fuel filter in and so far no problems. Its been around six months of running the machine 3-4 hours a week

                Dave in Ct

                <mikesloane@verizon. net>