Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] What I need for winter - 184

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      1. New chains are available from various farm supply places, your local
      tractor dealer, Valu-Bilt <www.valu-bilt.com>, or several on-line
      dealers. One such dealer is <http://tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm>,
      but I have never dealt with them.

      2. I can't help.

      3. You can stick virtually anything up there. The original piece was
      about 4" wide and flat. So you can use anything you find around - wood,
      metal, plastic, etc.; it doesn't have to be especially strong, just
      reasonably smooth. From my experience, you will probably find that if
      you try to push snow deep enough to need that extension, the tractor may
      not be able to handle it. When blading snow with a small tractor, the
      most critical thing is to get out there BEFORE it is very deep, even if
      you have to go out in the middle of the night while it is still falling.
      If you wait until it stops snowing, it could be too late. One of the
      problems with small tractors is that very wet or very deep snow will
      actually push the front of the tractor to the side when the blade is
      angled, as the front tires and the light weight of the front of the
      tractor (combined with turf tires) provide very little lateral
      resistance against the packed snow. For wet snow, you need to hit it
      before it gets over 6-8". If it is a dry snow, you can let it get a
      little deeper, but if the temperature rises to near 30 (or if the ground
      is not hard frozen and/or there is freezing rain), it will start to
      slump and pack, and you will be in trouble. (been there, done that!)

      Mike

      BCLyme@... wrote:

      > Hello all;
      >
      > I am in need of three items for my 184 - maybe someone has one or more
      > of these for sale or knows where I might source them.
      >
      > 1. Chains for hi-float turf tires
      >
      > 2. Wheel spacers
      >
      > 3. The front snow blade has a provision for an extension to be mounted
      > on top to provide more blade height - not sure what this is called but I
      > need one.
      >
      > Any help on where to get these would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Brian in CT

      Mike Sloane
      Allamuchy NJ
      <mikesloane@...>
      Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
      Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

      Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition
      of this is the beginning of wisdom.
      -Theodore Rubin, psychiatrist and writer (1923- )

    • Dave Carter
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        I second that motion on the blade extension, wet snow up to the top
        of the blade starts to get hard to push.

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...>
        wrote:

        > 1. New chains are available from various farm supply places, your
        local
        > tractor dealer, Valu-Bilt <www.valu-bilt.com>, or several on-line
        > dealers. One such dealer is
        <http://tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm>,
        > but I have never dealt with them.
        >
        > 2. I can't help.
        >
        > 3. You can stick virtually anything up there. The original piece
        was
        > about 4" wide and flat. So you can use anything you find around -
        wood,
        > metal, plastic, etc.; it doesn't have to be especially strong, just
        > reasonably smooth. From my experience, you will probably find that
        if
        > you try to push snow deep enough to need that extension, the
        tractor may
        > not be able to handle it. When blading snow with a small tractor,
        the
        > most critical thing is to get out there BEFORE it is very deep,
        even if
        > you have to go out in the middle of the night while it is still
        falling.
        > If you wait until it stops snowing, it could be too late. One of
        the
        > problems with small tractors is that very wet or very deep snow
        will
        > actually push the front of the tractor to the side when the blade
        is
        > angled, as the front tires and the light weight of the front of
        the
        > tractor (combined with turf tires) provide very little lateral
        > resistance against the packed snow. For wet snow, you need to hit
        it
        > before it gets over 6-8". If it is a dry snow, you can let it get a
        > little deeper, but if the temperature rises to near 30 (or if the
        ground
        > is not hard frozen and/or there is freezing rain), it will start to
        > slump and pack, and you will be in trouble. (been there, done that!)
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > BCLyme@... wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello all;
        > >
        > > I am in need of three items for my 184 - maybe someone has one or
        more
        > > of these for sale or knows where I might source them.
        > >
        > > 1. Chains for hi-float turf tires
        > >
        > > 2. Wheel spacers
        > >
        > > 3. The front snow blade has a provision for an extension to be
        mounted
        > > on top to provide more blade height - not sure what this is
        called but I
        > > need one.
        > >
        > > Any help on where to get these would be greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Brian in CT

        9/29/2006

        > --
        > Mike Sloane
        > Allamuchy NJ
        > <mikesloane@...>
        > Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
        > Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
        >
        > Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition
        > of this is the beginning of wisdom.
        > -Theodore Rubin, psychiatrist and writer (1923- )
        >

        > --
        9/29/2006

      • BCLyme@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
          Thanks Mike!

          I've done due diligence in contacting 5 tire chain distributors including tirechain.com (same as the plural tirechains.com), www.valu-bilt.com, Tractor Supply, Columbia Tractor and another place whose name I can't recall in Lenoir, NC. The least expensive price for the 4-link ladder style hardened chains was from tirechain.com, $113.98 plus $15.95 S&H for the pair. Add $13.11 if you want an o-ring spring tensioner or just use bungees.

           FYI, the tire size for the hi-float rear turfs are 13.6 - 16.1. I'll be ordering my chains today.

          Still need spacers though and was quoted $195 each for Case ones. Yikes!

          Does anyone know yet if the ones Kent posted about that are on eBay would work?

          Regards,
          Brian

          BCLyme@... wrote:

          > Hello all;

          > I am in need of three items for my 184 - maybe someone has one or more
          > of these for sale or knows where I might source them.

          > 1. Chains for hi-float turf tires

          > 2. Wheel spacers

          > 3. The front snow blade has a provision for an extension to be mounted
          > on top to provide more blade height - not sure what this is called but I
          > need one.

          > Any help on where to get these would be greatly appreciated.

          > Regards,
          > Brian in CT

        • Craig
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2006
            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, BCLyme@... wrote:

> [...]
            > little deeper, but if the temperature rises to near 30 (or if the
            ground
            > is not hard frozen and/or there is freezing rain), it will start to
            > slump and pack, and you will be in trouble. (been there, done that!)
            >
            > Mike
            >
            > BCLyme@... wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello all;
            > >
            > > I am in need of three items for my 184 - maybe someone has one or
            more
            > > of these for sale or knows where I might source them.
            > >
            > > 1. Chains for hi-float turf tires
            > >
            > > 2. Wheel spacers
            > >
            > > 3. The front snow blade has a provision for an extension to be
            mounted
            > > on top to provide more blade height - not sure what this is
            called but I
            > > need one.
            > >
            > > Any help on where to get these would be greatly appreciated.

            you might want to look at these:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/INTERNATIONAL-CUB-LO-BOY-154-184-185-284-WHEEL-SPACERS_W0QQitemZ320037097878QQihZ011QQcategoryZ61592QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem