Re: 184 clutch area noise

  • bobconnor402003
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
      Thanks for replying. I will check the gap but the clicking sound is
      there whether the clutch is engaged or not.
    • bigbill154
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "bobconnor402003"
        <garthag@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for replying. I will check the gap but the clicking sound
        is
        > there whether the clutch is engaged or not.

        That changes the whole thing now. Remove the center cover and start
        the tractor up in neutral. You need a broom handle about 2' long. If
        you put it to your ear and then put the other end at each spot were
        there is a bearing like on the PTO you can check each bearing for
        noise. It can be done with a long socket extention too.

        If no bearing is making that noise then i would look for something
        loose with the two shafts(drive shaft and PTO shaft) a clicking
        could be a loose bolt somewhere too.

        Are you sure it has nothing to do with the motor? Like a seperated
        Fan belt? Or PTO belt?
      • ihcub24370
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
          If your lucky, it may be as simple as the PTO belts. In the old days,
          running a bar of soap against the fan belt would quiet them down.
          Don't get your fingers caught in anything though. I sometimes get
          noise from my PTO belts.

          Kent

          <garthag@...> wrote:

          > I have an annoying fast clicking sound coming from around the clutch
          > and pto area. Try as I may I cannot discern from where it originates
          > without disassembly. Can anyone give me any insight?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Bob C.

        • bobconnor402003
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
            Hey thanks for the help. I'll try what you said with the broomstick.
            You know you might be right about the noise coming from another place.
            Sounds have a way of bouncing around, misleading you to the wrong
            place. I'll check around more closely. Thanks again!
          • bobconnor402003
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2006
              Thanks for the information Bill. You were right, the pto bearing
              sounds real bad.
              Bob C.
              > That changes the whole thing now. Remove the center cover and start
              > the tractor up in neutral. You need a broom handle about 2' long. If
              > you put it to your ear and then put the other end at each spot were
              > there is a bearing like on the PTO you can check each bearing for
              > noise. It can be done with a long socket extention too.
              >
              > If no bearing is making that noise then i would look for something
              > loose with the two shafts(drive shaft and PTO shaft) a clicking
              > could be a loose bolt somewhere too.
              >
              > Are you sure it has nothing to do with the motor? Like a seperated
              > Fan belt? Or PTO belt?

            • bigbill154
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
                Anytime I grew up and was taught the tricks by the old school
                mechanics. I seen this broom handle trick used even today. It can
                locate a wrist pin noise right down to the cylinder were its comming
                from. I have seen it used on 4 cylinder motorcycles too. My point is
                no matter what size the motor is it will locate the problem. With
                locating noises from bearing supports thats cake too. I know on the
                cub with everything turning at the sametime its tough to locate one
                bad bearing in that one area. Glad i could help. BigBill