Re: Mowing Speed

  • gregbearman
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      I'm in the same situation, 3 gears just don't cut it any more.
      I've been brainstorming and have been working on an idea. If I take a
      small transmission from a ,say s-10, with 4 speed + od, and remove the
      2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears. install it inline before the trans
      already in the tractor (similar to the creeper gear). It would create
      an auxilliary transmission to give the effect of a creeper gear in 1st
      gear, standard ratio in 4th gear, and slightly faster speeds in od.
      Haven't found a transmission yet, but this will be my spring project.
      Has anyone else ever tried this. I will post any progress, as I
      really believe this could be the answer to a lot of peoples issues
      with creeper gear availability, and range of mowing speeds.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
        If all you are after is something to do with your surplus time, energy,
        and money, I wish you well.

        As far as accomplishing something useful, I have to wonder what the
        point might be. It is my observation that my 184 does a fine job of
        mowing grass in second gear. I suppose it could go a little faster, but
        I wonder if the quality of the cut would suffer. And just suppose I
        could push my 20 hp tractor to go maybe 10% faster (that is about the
        most I could hope for without having the blades miss a lot of grass).
        Right now it takes me about 3 hours to mow the several acres of grass
        around my place and some of my neighbors. If I could increase the speed
        by 10%, that would shave 18 minutes off my time, not counting having to
        slow down in areas that are a little cluttered with bushes and trees. 18
        minutes. How much time and money would I be willing to invest to butcher
        the tractor and save 18 minutes a week? And what would I do with that 18
        minutes saved?

        I guess if I really was hurting for time in my mowing activities, I
        would rather invest the money in a modern commercial "zero turn" mower
        with hydrostatic drive and do the job properly. Or I would replace my
        old worn out turf tread tires with a set of brand new "industrial" tread
        tires - that would increase my ground speed by 10% with almost no time
        and effort.

        Again, I am not criticizing your intentions, just stating my personal
        view on the subject.

        Mike

        --
        Mike Sloane
        Allamuchy NJ

        "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible,
        but manĀ“s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary."
        Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971), US theologian.

      • bob chandler

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
            I appreciate your comments, and you are exactly right. A
            commercial zero turn mower is by far a much more logical choice for
            cutting time cutting grass. But my main objective was to find an
            alternative to the harder to find all the time creeper gear boxes.
            The overdrive would just an added benefit of this possible solution.
          • Gene Lynch
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
              I don't remember where I read it but someone used an old Crosley car tranemission. Put both in reverse and you would really be low geared.
              Gene

              gregbearman wrote:
                   I appreciate your comments, and you are exactly right.  A
              commercial zero turn mower is by far a much more logical choice for
              cutting time cutting grass.  But my main objective was to find an
              alternative to the harder to find all the time creeper gear boxes.
              The overdrive would just an added benefit of this possible solution.

              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.3.4/299 - Release Date: 3/31/06