Re: Flail Mower

  • ksfarmmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
      I agree with Hank on this. Raise the belly mower to full height and
      if necessary just take one half or one third of a swath. It will
      take a while, but you may have to do the same with a flail mower as
      well. Another option is to have a neighbor with a full size tractor
      cut it first and then you should be able to keep it short after
      that. I don't think your 184 is going to do well in tall grass with
      any type of mower except as I suggested above.
      > Jon:
      >
      > I've a Woods 59" belly mower on my IH 184, and the weeds and wild
      grass you mention is very similar to some of the "wild parts" of the
      6 acres that I mow. I've mowed 12" high "mixed grass/weeds" with
      the rig running in low gear. I don't even have a creeper gear.
      Typically if I'm whacking down heavy weeds I'll raise the mower to
      its highest possible height, and rarely have had the thing bog
      down.

      > Try your belly mower and see how it does. A few nicks in the
      blades won't hurt anything. :)

      > Hank
      >
      > jonrm70 wrote:
      > > OK, it looks like a flail mower is gonna be out of the question
      then. What I am looking for is something to cut about 3 acres of
      weed and wild grass with. Not very thick, but more than I want the
      belly mower to handle or can handle. IF the sicle bar will do a nice
      job on that, that would be sufficient. Does anyone on the site have
      one to sell or know where one can be? Rough cost of one?
      > Thanks -- Jon
    • rsting_2000
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hi Hank. I've got a 59" woods on a regular cub. Do you know if there
        is any way to tighten the two outside belts? Mine are in pretty good
        shape, but just too loose. Haven't been able to figure out how they
        are supposed to be tightened up.
        Thanks, Russell--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Hank Greeb

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
          Unless your Woods mower is different from all other Woods L59 mowers I
          have ever seen, there is only one belt to run the entire mower in a
          complex serpentine arrangement. You adjust the tension on the belt at
          the idler pulleys below the drive pulley. If, however, your mower is an
          IH mower of the 3xxx series as used on 154/185/184 Cub Lo-Boy tractors,
          then there is are two belts, and the one that drives both outer spindles
          is tensioned by a central spring tensioner with an idler pulley. On (IH
          C3) 60" mowers most often found on regular Cubs, there are three belts -
          one to drive the center pulley and one each for the outboard spindle
          pulleys. Both outer spindles can be moved by loosening the 4 mounting
          bolts and moving them in or out as appropriate. This may not seem
          obvious on an older mower, but if you can get the bolts loose and apply
          a little penetrating fluid and some gentle force, they will move. :-)

          I could be wrong about this, and I welcome being educated. :-)

          Mike

          --
          Mike Sloane
          Allamuchy NJ

          New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
          other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
          philosopher (1632-1704)

        • rsting_2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
            Thanks SO much Mike, It's an International C3. Apparently, someone
            before I got it, painted it, and had some woods decals. I've never
            had a woods or a Cub before, so I hope you can understand my
            confusion. Anyway, thanks again, I KNEW there had to be some way to
            tension those belts.--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike

            9/30/2005
          • Kim Gardner
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
              I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above.  It is a 1966 with a serial number - 21584.  Appreciate any info.

              KEG
            • degallina
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                154

                Kim Gardner wrote:

                > I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a
                > 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above. It is a 1966 with a serial
                > number - 21584. Appreciate any info.
                >
                > KEG

              • jeff potts
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                  kim, you have a regular cub lo-boy. it is not a 154, 185 or 184. it is just a plain cub lo-boy.

                  Kim Gardner <keg99@...> wrote:
                  I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above.  It is a 1966 with a serial number - 21584.  Appreciate any info.

                  KEG

                  Yahoo! for Good
                • K Morris
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                    None of the above. The 154 (1968-74), 185 (1974-76) & 184s (1977-80) are like big Cub Cadets and do not have the offset chassis. The International LoBoys were built from 1958-68.

                    Sent: October 03, 2005 9:37 PM
                    Subject: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 154, 184 or 185 - which one do I have?

                    I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above.  It is a 1966 with a serial number - 21584.  Appreciate any info.

                    KEG

                    It has removed 795 spam emails to date.
                    Try
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                      Hey, Jeff, I resent that - it isn't "plain". :-) But you are right, it
                      is a Farmall Cub Lo-Boy. The only things it has in common with the
                      International (numbered) LoBoys is the engine and drive train.

                      Images of mine at:
                      <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/ns-3.html>

                      vs.

                      <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/184_painted1.html>

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                        mike, didn't mean  to offend anybody. after owning 27 cubs, 5 regular lo-boys, 3 154, 2 185, and a 184, i have come to find out in trying to explain to some people it is easy to say it is a plain old cub lo-boy. but nothing is plain about them, they are a very good tractor. i would buy one to day if i could find one at a good price.

                        --
                        Mike Sloane
                        Allamuchy NJ
                        mikesloane@...
                        Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
                        Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

                        New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
                        other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
                        philosopher (1632-1704)

                        Yahoo! for Good
                      • Art Pietscher
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                          my nickles worth and the way I try to explain the difference....

                          the cub was built as a very small tractor...  smaller than the Farmall A or C (but similar setup)...

                          The lo-boys (154, 184, 185) although using the same engine, were built primarily as a large lawn mowing machine / garden tractor, not a agricultural tractor...

                          Just my view....

                          Art Pietscher
                          La Salle Michigan

                          currently using and restoring

                          Lo-boy 154, Cub Cadet 128,  Allis Chalmers WD-45.