Re: Flail Mower

  • Hank Greeb
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
      Jon:

      I've a Woods 59" belly mower on my IH 184, and the weeds and wild grass you mention is very similar to some of the "wild parts" of the 6 acres that I mow.  I've mowed 12" high "mixed grass/weeds" with the rig running in low gear.  I don't even have a creeper gear.  Typically if I'm whacking down heavy weeds I'll raise the mower to its highest possible height, and rarely have had the thing bog down.

      Try your belly mower and see how it does.  A few nicks in the blades won't hurt anything. :)

      Hank

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:30:11 -0000
      From: jonrm70
      Subject: Re: Flail Mower

      <snip>
      OK, it looks like a flail mower is gonna be out of the question then. What I am looking for is something to cut about 3 acres of weed and wild grass with. Not very thick, but more than I want the belly mower to handle or can handle. IF the sicle bar will do a nice job on that, that would be sufficient. Does anyone on the site have one to sell or know where one can be? Rough cost of one?
      Thanks -- Jon

      Yahoo! for Good
    • ksfarmmer
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
        I agree with Hank on this. Raise the belly mower to full height and
        if necessary just take one half or one third of a swath. It will
        take a while, but you may have to do the same with a flail mower as
        well. Another option is to have a neighbor with a full size tractor
        cut it first and then you should be able to keep it short after
        that. I don't think your 184 is going to do well in tall grass with
        any type of mower except as I suggested above.
        > Jon:
        >
        > I've a Woods 59" belly mower on my IH 184, and the weeds and wild
        grass you mention is very similar to some of the "wild parts" of the
        6 acres that I mow. I've mowed 12" high "mixed grass/weeds" with
        the rig running in low gear. I don't even have a creeper gear.
        Typically if I'm whacking down heavy weeds I'll raise the mower to
        its highest possible height, and rarely have had the thing bog
        down.

        > Try your belly mower and see how it does. A few nicks in the
        blades won't hurt anything. :)

        > Hank
        >
        > jonrm70 wrote:
        > > OK, it looks like a flail mower is gonna be out of the question
        then. What I am looking for is something to cut about 3 acres of
        weed and wild grass with. Not very thick, but more than I want the
        belly mower to handle or can handle. IF the sicle bar will do a nice
        job on that, that would be sufficient. Does anyone on the site have
        one to sell or know where one can be? Rough cost of one?
        > Thanks -- Jon
      • rsting_2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hi Hank. I've got a 59" woods on a regular cub. Do you know if there
          is any way to tighten the two outside belts? Mine are in pretty good
          shape, but just too loose. Haven't been able to figure out how they
          are supposed to be tightened up.
          Thanks, Russell--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Hank Greeb

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
            Unless your Woods mower is different from all other Woods L59 mowers I
            have ever seen, there is only one belt to run the entire mower in a
            complex serpentine arrangement. You adjust the tension on the belt at
            the idler pulleys below the drive pulley. If, however, your mower is an
            IH mower of the 3xxx series as used on 154/185/184 Cub Lo-Boy tractors,
            then there is are two belts, and the one that drives both outer spindles
            is tensioned by a central spring tensioner with an idler pulley. On (IH
            C3) 60" mowers most often found on regular Cubs, there are three belts -
            one to drive the center pulley and one each for the outboard spindle
            pulleys. Both outer spindles can be moved by loosening the 4 mounting
            bolts and moving them in or out as appropriate. This may not seem
            obvious on an older mower, but if you can get the bolts loose and apply
            a little penetrating fluid and some gentle force, they will move. :-)

            I could be wrong about this, and I welcome being educated. :-)

            Mike

            --
            Mike Sloane
            Allamuchy NJ

            New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
            other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
            philosopher (1632-1704)

          • rsting_2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
              Thanks SO much Mike, It's an International C3. Apparently, someone
              before I got it, painted it, and had some woods decals. I've never
              had a woods or a Cub before, so I hope you can understand my
              confusion. Anyway, thanks again, I KNEW there had to be some way to
              tension those belts.--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike

              9/30/2005
            • Kim Gardner
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above.  It is a 1966 with a serial number - 21584.  Appreciate any info.

                KEG
              • degallina
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                  154

                  Kim Gardner wrote:

                  > I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a
                  > 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above. It is a 1966 with a serial
                  > number - 21584. Appreciate any info.
                  >
                  > KEG

                • jeff potts
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                    kim, you have a regular cub lo-boy. it is not a 154, 185 or 184. it is just a plain cub lo-boy.

                    Kim Gardner <keg99@...> wrote:
                    I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above.  It is a 1966 with a serial number - 21584.  Appreciate any info.

                    KEG

                    Yahoo! for Good
                  • K Morris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
                      None of the above. The 154 (1968-74), 185 (1974-76) & 184s (1977-80) are like big Cub Cadets and do not have the offset chassis. The International LoBoys were built from 1958-68.

                      Sent: October 03, 2005 9:37 PM
                      Subject: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 154, 184 or 185 - which one do I have?

                      I recently purchased a Lo-Boy and am trying to figure out if I have a 154, 184 or 185 - or none of the above.  It is a 1966 with a serial number - 21584.  Appreciate any info.

                      KEG

                      It has removed 795 spam emails to date.
                      Try
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                        Hey, Jeff, I resent that - it isn't "plain". :-) But you are right, it
                        is a Farmall Cub Lo-Boy. The only things it has in common with the
                        International (numbered) LoBoys is the engine and drive train.

                        Images of mine at:
                        <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/ns-3.html>

                        vs.

                        <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/184_painted1.html>

                        Mike

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                          mike, didn't mean  to offend anybody. after owning 27 cubs, 5 regular lo-boys, 3 154, 2 185, and a 184, i have come to find out in trying to explain to some people it is easy to say it is a plain old cub lo-boy. but nothing is plain about them, they are a very good tractor. i would buy one to day if i could find one at a good price.

                          --
                          Mike Sloane
                          Allamuchy NJ
                          mikesloane@...
                          Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
                          Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

                          New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
                          other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
                          philosopher (1632-1704)

                          Yahoo! for Good
                        • Art Pietscher
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                            my nickles worth and the way I try to explain the difference....

                            the cub was built as a very small tractor...  smaller than the Farmall A or C (but similar setup)...

                            The lo-boys (154, 184, 185) although using the same engine, were built primarily as a large lawn mowing machine / garden tractor, not a agricultural tractor...

                            Just my view....

                            Art Pietscher
                            La Salle Michigan

                            currently using and restoring

                            Lo-boy 154, Cub Cadet 128,  Allis Chalmers WD-45.