Clutch Issues

  • msu4598
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
      Hello,

      I seem to be having some clutch issues with my 184. The engine is
      running fine, but when I go to engage the mowing deck, it will run for
      a couple of seconds and then it will grind. If I were to let the deck
      keep going, I am sure it would grind and smoke. Do I need to replace
      the clutch or are there other issues here. Thanks for any help.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
        When you say "clutch" I assume you mean the electric PTO clutch. As far
        as "grinding" sound, you will need to figure out whether it is coming
        from the PTO assembly, the idler pulleys, or one of the spindles. The
        quickest way to do this is by removing the belts, one by one, starting
        at one end and working towards the other, engaging the PTO at each change.

        Mike

        --
        Mike Sloane
        Allamuchy NJ

        New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
        other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
        philosopher (1632-1704)

      • msu4598
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
          Yeah it definitely seems to be coming from the PTO assembley.

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@v...>
          wrote:
          > When you say "clutch" I assume you mean the electric PTO clutch. As far
          > as "grinding" sound, you will need to figure out whether it is coming
          > from the PTO assembly, the idler pulleys, or one of the spindles. The
          > quickest way to do this is by removing the belts, one by one, starting
          > at one end and working towards the other, engaging the PTO at each
          change.

          > Mike
          >
          > msu4598 wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I seem to be having some clutch issues with my 184. The engine is
          > > running fine, but when I go to engage the mowing deck, it will run for
          > > a couple of seconds and then it will grind. If I were to let the deck
          > > keep going, I am sure it would grind and smoke. Do I need to replace
          > > the clutch or are there other issues here. Thanks for any help.
          >
          > --
          > Mike Sloane
          > Allamuchy NJ
          > mikesloane@v...
          > Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
          > Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
          >
          > New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
          > other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
          > philosopher (1632-1704)
          >

          > --
          9/27/2005
        • junior frazier
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005

            msu4598 <msu4598@...> wrote:
            Hello,

            I seem to be having some clutch issues with my 184. The engine is
            running fine, but when I go to engage the mowing deck, it will run for
            a couple of seconds and then it will grind. If I were to let the deck
            keep going, I am sure it would grind and smoke. Do I need to replace
            the clutch or are there other issues here. Thanks for any help.

            I wish i could help you.But i don`t know what to tellyou sorry.    Junior

            Yahoo! for Good
          • northcreek2624
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
              Have you pulled the side covers to observe the clutch in operation?
              Three things come to mind that may be your problem:
              1. Bad bearing in the clutch assembly.
              2. Bad bearing in the pulley which tensions the two belts driving the
              PTO clutch.
              3. Clutch assembly is secured to the PTO shaft via a tapered/keyed
              fit
              and locknut,this could be loose and your problem.
              These are in order of probability,the first being the most
              likely,hope I've helped.....Mike

              --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "msu4598" <msu4598@y...>