Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] PTO problem

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
      Well I finally had enough time and frustration to take this apart.
      Dave H you said there should be a fiber disc on the PTO brake. Not
      one mine. So that is probably part of the problem. I called my
      friendly IH dealer and they said it cost 56.11 (part 404921r1) and
      they don't stock. Wow that is an expensive piece of bent metal with
      a brake shoe on it. I checked Wenger and they don't have one, so
      does anyone in the group have one or a suggestion of where I might
      find a new one. Just thought I would ask before I dropped $56.
      Thanks for the help. Now its back to checking the clutch pack to see
      if it has the recommended clearance between the engaged and
      disengaged widths. I couldn't do it earlier because I didn't have a
      caliper.

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <barry_s_u@h...>
      wrote:
      > Steve,
      > My guess is that there wer not enough shims at the end of the
      clutch
      > pack and it did not compress enough to work properly. The clutch
      pack
      > thickness when closed and open can be measured with a simple
      > scale...AND...you need to get a "feel" for what the right tension
      is
      > when you pull the clutch pack closed with the controlling plate (or
      > the attached rod). If you get the proper thickness when compressed
      it
      > will work just like it's supposed to!
      >
      > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Patterson"
      > <spatterson@c...> wrote:
      > > Barry I did read your informative message. Last year I took my
      old
      > PTO
      > > to an IH dealer to try and fix the problem of slipping. The
      > mechanic,
      > > who seemed very knowledgeable, said the discs were OK, but I had
      > used to
      > > much grease. So he took it apart and cleaned them for me.
      > > Unfortunately, he didn't fix the problem and the PTO still
      > slipped. He
      > > used a press to put everything back together, so I was under the
      > > impression a press was required.
      > >
      > > I will print the message and go to the shop and look at the PTO in
      > > detail. Hopefully things will clear up when I am looking
      directly
      > at
      > > it.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help.
      > >

      > > Stephen Patterson

      That
      > > is why
      > > > I was hoping to find another possible problem. I had the
      clutch
      > > pack
      > > > out and it was tight. Since this was from a parts tractor and
      > had
      > > been
      > > > in the weather, I worked it with penetrating oil and loosened
      up
      > the
      > > > discs. When I installed it on the tractor, I had no luck, as
      the
      > > PTO
      > > > still would spin. So I shot a couple pumps of grease in the
      > > fitting.
      > > > That seemed to work for awhile, but now its back to the old
      > problem
      > > of
      > > > it spinning when I don't want it too.
      > > >

      > > > Stephen Patterson

      Technical
      > > > info/FAQs. Real easy for the pto to not work properly
      especially
      > > > if "dimensions" are not correct. Go read it and come back with
      > > > questions.
      > > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "David Hull"
      > <bhull1@c...>
      > fiber
      > > > pad on the rear bracket that is slotted for adjustment.

      > > what
      > > > is needed.

      Most
      > > of