185 starter/generator

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      I have been having problems for some time and now finally it won't
      start and I need to fix it. First the battery wasn't charging so I
      changed the voltage regulator. Then it began having problems
      starting. First it would be difficult to start cold (won't crank),
      then when hot it wouldn't start. Well tonight I drove the tractor
      about 100 yards, turned it off, then tried to start it and won't
      crank. The ignition solenoid seems to work, because I can here the
      click.

      I read in a message, that I can't find now, that if I hook jumper
      cables to the battery, then ground to the frame, and the positive to
      the pos terminal on the starter it should turn over. Well I did that
      and although I got some spark when I touched the post, it would not
      turn over. So is this a definitative test that the started is bad and
      needs to be rebuilt?

      I should mention that I smelled wire burning a couple weeks ago. I
      thought it was a bad wire causing me problems, and I planned to rewire
      when I get time. But I am now thinking it is the starter. Help and
      advise is appreciated. Thanks