clutch shaft needed 184

  • snapperguy1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      I am working on a 184 lo-boy. The pilot end of the clutch shaft is
      ruined. I would like to find a good used one. Also, was power
      steering ever offered for these tractors? Thanks in advance.

      Bud
    • snapperguy1

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "snapperguy1"
          <green1655@m...> wrote:
          > I am working on a 184 lo-boy. The pilot end of the clutch shaft
          is
          > ruined. I would like to find a good used one. Also, was power
          > steering ever offered for these tractors? Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Bud

          Had same problem on my 184. Purchase new pilot bushing from IH dealer
          and then took the drive shaft to a local Clutch and Joint Shop. They
          put all new U-joints and repaired the splined pilot end for about
          $45.00.
        • eaolinii
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
            I was unable to find this shaft new when I re-did my tractor. I cut a
            new snap ring groove, and woodruff key on the differential end of the
            shaft (I have a creeper gear), 3/8 of inch forward. This allowed the
            clutch and pilot bearing to run on "virgin" part of the shaft. I
            checked to make sure I had enough spline in the clutch and pilot
            shaft in the bearing before deciding on 3/8 of an inch.

            I effectively moved my shaft to the rear of the tractor 3/8", I have
            50 hours with no problems.