Steering rod?

  • hgreeb
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      I've a 184, which has a steering rod (the rod which goes between the
      steering box and the front end. This rod got bent when I got stuck
      next to a tree and had to almost dig myself out of the place.

      I took it off, straightened it out, and put it back. Then, today I
      ran across another log (call me stupid or something for not checking
      the brush before I starte cutting it), and even though it didn't
      take much effort to get out of the situation, the rod got bent
      again.

      I've had similar tractors since 1954, and this is the first
      experience with bending a steering rod. I've run through a lot
      of brush and invisible logs, sometimes stopping the entire tractor,
      etc.

      Is this rod supposed to be hardened or something? Should I heat it
      to red hot and quench it or use another technique to regain its
      temper? Or, am I just suffering an unfortunate coincidence of two
      times in three daze?

      Hank
    • serious_machining
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "hgreeb" wrote:
        > I've a 184, which has a steering rod (the rod which goes between
        > the steering box and the front end. This rod got bent when I
        > got stuck next to a tree ...
        > I took it off, straightened it out, and put it back. ...
        > Then the rod got bent again. ...
        > Is this rod supposed to be hardened or something?
        .
        Hank -
        To prevent the rod from bending, once you have straightened it out
        (again), slip a piece of regular 1/2" steel pipe over the rod.
        Cut the pipe long enough to just fit between the two jamb nuts.
        There is a bit of a slop (rod o/d vs. pipe i/d) with sched. 40
        which is eliminated when the jamb nuts are screwed tightly against
        the pipe. Or if you can find sched. 80 pipe with the slightly
        smaller i/d, that will take up some of the rod-to-pipe slop.
        The only caution is that when you've eliminated the "give" in the
        rod, will something else bend or break next time ? I shudder to
        think what the cost is of a replacement steering gear housing,
        made out of aluminum like the original. This is the setup I use
        and so far so good, and I have a front end loader on my 184. I
        just try to do all the steering wheel turning while the tractor is
        in motion. Good luck !
        - Dennis Anderson