Clunking in 2nd gear under load condition... Low Boy

  • t45965
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2005
      I have a '61 lowboy that has a clunking noise under load in 2nd gear.
      If the gear is bad, how difficult is the replacement? Thanks. Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005
        Well, how difficult it is depends on how comfortable you are with
        splitting a tractor and disassembling a transmission. I would rate the
        job as not being particularly difficult, but I strongly recommend you
        obtain a Service Manual from someone like Binder Books
        <www.binderbooks.com> as the manual takes you through the process very
        nicely. You can pull the back half of the tractor away from the front
        without any serious lifting tools - the back half of the tractor is
        fairly well balanced. There are some other pieces to be removed - the
        battery cable, rear light wires, etc. The only critical item is that you
        need to block up the front half with cribbing under the oil pan and put
        some wedges near the front axle pivot to keep it from tipping - just a
        couple of scrap pieces of 2x4 cut at an angle work fine. (It is all
        shown in the manual!) The rest is just bolts, dirt, and gear oil. You
        should probably think seriously about replacing the front and rear
        transmission seals while you have things apart, as they are probably
        getting pretty old, check the ball bearings, and take a good look at the
        PTO gears/lever and shifter forks while you are at it.

        Mike

        t45965 wrote:
        > I have a '61 lowboy that has a clunking noise under load in 2nd gear.
        > If the gear is bad, how difficult is the replacement? Thanks. Steve

        Mike Sloane
        Allamuchy NJ
        mikesloane@...
        Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>