Re: Mowing with a 154?

  • Hank Greeb
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2004
      I've had a 184 for about 10 years, it's a late model, probably
      1979 or so. It has a 59" Woods deck, and goes along in all but
      the heaviest grass in 2nd gear. My 6 acres of grass is quite
      hilly (the house sits on a ridge and the ground drops away
      in two directions. With 6 acres I don't bother with keeping
      it smoothed out, so it's a bit rough, but the woods deck handles
      it okay.

      I've had typical problemmes with the PTO belts - finally
      diagnosed as a faulty tensioner bearing, and usual maintenance
      factors. But, the thing doesn't use oil (maybe a quart in a
      season), has considerably more power than an older 1954'ish
      Farmall Cub lowboy, and the electric PTO, independent of the
      drive wheels is a definite advantage when cutting heavy brush,
      etc. I gather the 154 has a mechanical clutch, but it also is
      independent of the driving wheels.

      As some others have said, the 154 to 184 are good mowing machines.

      Hg