Hard starting 184

  • tiresmoke216
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      Hi, I have a 1978 184 that I use for mowing. It starts fine on the
      first start of the day but when I shut it off to take a break it
      starts hard( cranks fine, hits but starts hard ) acts like it might
      be flooded. Any ideas? I gave it a tune up about a month ago but
      it did not solve hard starting! Thanks
    • Hank Greeb
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
        The float and float valve are a bit temperamental on the 184.

        I have to clean the fuel inlet valve (which is controlled by
        the float valve) at least once a year, otherwise gasoline will
        leak past it and the carburetor fills up.

        I've replaced the valve twice in the 10 years I have had mine,
        and I always shut off the gasoline at the sediment bowl and
        let the engine run until it runs out of gasoline. Otherwise
        I might find a puddle of gasoline on the floor/ground.

        Hank