manual / diagram needed for 60" deck

  • y_what4
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      I have what I believe to be a 3160u-1111 deck on my loboy.
      Anyone have a manual or parts diagram for this deck?
      I'm in the process of putting new bearings in and I can't seem to
      get the tripple pulley (the one in the middle) off of the shaft.
      I'm not sure exactly how they are on the shaft. Do I pull up? or
      push down?
      Thanks,
      Jerry
    • y_what4
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        I found the manual from Binder books, should have checked the links
        first, I'm a newby to the loboys. In the meantime, I'm still looking
        for answers on the pulley removal. The grass is growing here in
        Texas!
        Thanks,
        Jerry

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4" <j_sauser@c...>
        wrote:
        > I have what I believe to be a 3160u-1111 deck on my loboy.
        > Anyone have a manual or parts diagram for this deck?
        > I'm in the process of putting new bearings in and I can't seem to
        > get the tripple pulley (the one in the middle) off of the shaft.
        > I'm not sure exactly how they are on the shaft. Do I pull up? or
        > push down?
        > Thanks,
        > Jerry
      • sjfoss2002
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
          Jerry,

          Well, I don't have a manual, but I have something almost as good ....
          experience!

          I took my deck apart to paint it (winter, 2002) and ran into the same
          problem - the middle pulley was stuck. I (stupidly) used two levers
          to try to pry it off. It's a tapered shaft like the other two
          pulleys. It came off, alright. I also broke a piece off the bottom of
          the pulley. I JBwelded it back in place and it's worked ever since. I
          would suggest taking the whole unit (the bearing mount with the
          pulley) to a machine shop and have them pull it off.

          My two cents,

          Steve

          wrote:
          > I found the manual from Binder books, should have checked the links
          > first, I'm a newby to the loboys. In the meantime, I'm still
          looking
          > for answers on the pulley removal. The grass is growing here in
          > Texas!
          > Thanks,
          > Jerry
          >

          > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4" <j_sauser@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > I have what I believe to be a 3160u-1111 deck on my loboy.
          > > Anyone have a manual or parts diagram for this deck?
          > > I'm in the process of putting new bearings in and I can't seem to
          > > get the tripple pulley (the one in the middle) off of the shaft.
          > > I'm not sure exactly how they are on the shaft. Do I pull up? or
          > > push down?
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jerry
        • y_what4
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
            Thanks Steve,
            Yes, I too am painfully aware of how fragile these cast pulleys
            are.....
            Just to make sure I understand, the middle pully removal is
            identical to the side ones..... Remove the pully bolts and press
            the pully downward, this should leave the pinch collar (I don't know
            what it's really called) to loosen and be removed.

            How would you remove the entire bearing mount? The best I can tell,
            the only way this can be done is to remove the pulley.....

            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, sjfoss2002 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > Jerry,
            >
            > Well, I don't have a manual, but I have something almost as
            good ....
            > experience!
            >
            > I took my deck apart to paint it (winter, 2002) and ran into the
            same
            > problem - the middle pulley was stuck. I (stupidly) used two
            levers
            > to try to pry it off. It's a tapered shaft like the other two
            > pulleys. It came off, alright. I also broke a piece off the bottom
            of
            > the pulley. I JBwelded it back in place and it's worked ever
            since. I
            > would suggest taking the whole unit (the bearing mount with the
            > pulley) to a machine shop and have them pull it off.
            >
            > My two cents,
            >
            > Steve
            >

            > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4" <j_sauser@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > I found the manual from Binder books, should have checked the
            links
            > > first, I'm a newby to the loboys. In the meantime, I'm still
            > looking
            > > for answers on the pulley removal. The grass is growing here in
            > > Texas!
            > > Thanks,
            > > Jerry
            > >

            > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4"
            <j_sauser@c...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > I have what I believe to be a 3160u-1111 deck on my loboy.
            > > > Anyone have a manual or parts diagram for this deck?
            > > > I'm in the process of putting new bearings in and I can't seem
            > > > get the tripple pulley (the one in the middle) off of the
            shaft.
            > > > I'm not sure exactly how they are on the shaft. Do I pull up?
            or
            > > > push down?
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Jerry
          • Phil C.
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
              wrote:
              > Thanks Steve,
              > Yes, I too am painfully aware of how fragile these cast pulleys
              > are.....
              > Just to make sure I understand, the middle pully removal is
              > identical to the side ones..... Remove the pully bolts and press
              > the pully downward, this should leave the pinch collar (I don't
              know
              > what it's really called) to loosen and be removed.
              >
              > How would you remove the entire bearing mount? The best I can
              tell,
              > the only way this can be done is to remove the pulley.....
              >

              > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, sjfoss2002
              <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Jerry,
              > >
              > > Well, I don't have a manual, but I have something almost as
              > good ....
              > > experience!
              > >
              > > I took my deck apart to paint it (winter, 2002) and ran into the
              > same
              > > problem - the middle pulley was stuck. I (stupidly) used two
              > levers
              > > to try to pry it off. It's a tapered shaft like the other two
              > > pulleys. It came off, alright. I also broke a piece off the
              bottom
              > of
              > > the pulley. I JBwelded it back in place and it's worked ever
              > since. I
              > > would suggest taking the whole unit (the bearing mount with the
              > > pulley) to a machine shop and have them pull it off.
              > >
              > > My two cents,
              > >
              > > Steve
              > >

              > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4"
              <j_sauser@c...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > I found the manual from Binder books, should have checked the
              > links
              > > > first, I'm a newby to the loboys. In the meantime, I'm still
              > > looking
              > > > for answers on the pulley removal. The grass is growing here
              in
              > > > Texas!
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Jerry
              > > >

              > > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4"
              > <j_sauser@c...>
              > shaft.
              > or

              Check files here @ left. I added 3160 maintenance pages from manual
              to view. The local IH dealer here (mid ohio)has just about
              everything to rebuild.
            • sjfoss2002
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
                Jerry,

                Well, perhaps our mower decks are not the same (mine is missing the
                identification tag). On mine, the "bearing mount" (my name, not a
                manual's) is the thing that the pulley, shaft and the blade is on
                that is bolted to the deck itself. The 4 bolts aren't accessable from
                the top of the deck (they're covered partly by the pulley), instead
                you have to jackhammer the grass crust from underneath the deck (and
                remove the center blade) to find them and get them out. I'm not sure
                what you're refering to regarding the "pinch collar"; the pulley on
                mine fits onto a tapered shaft (no key) and just has the one bolt on
                the top of the shaft holding it on.

                Hope this helps,

                Steve

                wrote:
                > Thanks Steve,
                > Yes, I too am painfully aware of how fragile these cast pulleys
                > are.....
                > Just to make sure I understand, the middle pully removal is
                > identical to the side ones..... Remove the pully bolts and press
                > the pully downward, this should leave the pinch collar (I don't
                know
                > what it's really called) to loosen and be removed.
                >
                > How would you remove the entire bearing mount? The best I can
                tell,
                > the only way this can be done is to remove the pulley.....
                >

                > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, sjfoss2002 <no_reply@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Jerry,
                > >
                > > Well, I don't have a manual, but I have something almost as
                > good ....
                > > experience!
                > >
                > > I took my deck apart to paint it (winter, 2002) and ran into the
                > same
                > > problem - the middle pulley was stuck. I (stupidly) used two
                > levers
                > > to try to pry it off. It's a tapered shaft like the other two
                > > pulleys. It came off, alright. I also broke a piece off the
                bottom
                > of
                > > the pulley. I JBwelded it back in place and it's worked ever
                > since. I
                > > would suggest taking the whole unit (the bearing mount with the
                > > pulley) to a machine shop and have them pull it off.
                > >
                > > My two cents,
                > >
                > > Steve
                > >

                > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4"
                <j_sauser@c...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > I found the manual from Binder books, should have checked the
                > links
                > > > first, I'm a newby to the loboys. In the meantime, I'm still
                > > looking
                > > > for answers on the pulley removal. The grass is growing here
                in
                > > > Texas!
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Jerry
                > > >

                > > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "y_what4"
                > <j_sauser@c...>
                > shaft.
                > or
              • bc8491
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
                  --

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Jerry,
                  > > >
                  > > > Well, I don't have a manual, but I have something almost as
                  > > good ....
                  > > > experience!
                  > > >
                  > > > I took my deck apart to paint it (winter, 2002) and ran into
                  the
                  > > same
                  > > > problem - the middle pulley was stuck. I (stupidly) used two
                  > > levers
                  > > > to try to pry it off. It's a tapered shaft like the other two
                  > > > pulleys. It came off, alright. I also broke a piece off the
                  > bottom
                  > > of
                  > > > the pulley. I JBwelded it back in place and it's worked ever
                  > > since. I
                  > > > would suggest taking the whole unit (the bearing mount with the
                  > > > pulley) to a machine shop and have them pull it off.

                • bc8491
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
                    --Jerry
                    Take a look in the file section of this forum. Look at the spindle
                    file. Does your deck, parts look like those that are shown? If they
                    are, you need to remove the large top nut, remove pulley. Then remove
                    the top and bottom grease seals from the spindle housing. Then you
                    can remove the two external snap rings that hold the bearing and
                    shaft assembly in the spindle. Used a brass hammer or something
                    softer then steel to punch out the assembly. I am in the process of
                    rebuilding my 3160A deck at this time. Hope this helps. Bob C.