Re: Wheel spacers

  • sjfoss2002
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 10, 2004
      As you have already created the pattern, How much money do you have
      invested? And (more importantly to myself and others) how much would
      it cost to have you make more of them?

      I too, suffered the same delemma. However I didn't have that
      same "fender banging" result, so I left the chains on (without
      spacers). It helps if the chains are on tight (I let some air out
      before I fit them, refilling afterward).

      Now I have an unforseen problem. My driveway is paved and has a bit
      of a slope to it. The tractor plows wonderfully going down the hill,
      but I do spin a bit going back up. The chains tend to leave a "skid
      mark" on the concrete and the concrete is slowly wearing off the
      metal of the chains. Any suggestions, or is this just the way it's
      supposed to work?

      I am thinking that it might be better to have a pair of Ag tires w/
      weights rather than the floation tires w/ chains to use for plowing
      snow. Has anyone had experience with both?

      Thanks,
      Steve

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "llostacres17"
      <llostacres@c...> wrote:
      > Earlier this year I bought some chains for my 154 to help with my
      > plowing of snow this winter, I found to my dismay that although the
      > chains fit the wheels just fine, if I were to drive any distance, I
      > would not have any fenders left on my tractor! Of course I realized
      > that I needed a spacer of some sorts and thought I would be able to
      > get one easily, WRONG! After going through the usual channels of
      > dealers and EBAY and even this group I realized winter would be
      over
      > before I would have a set mounted on my 154. Fortunatly I have a
      > Bridgeport and a lathe, so I decided to make my own spacers. Buying
      > 6" roundstock, cutting it, drilling, tapping, and machining it was
      > too expensive. So I used material that was more accessable and
      > inexpensive.. 1/2" and 1" stock. Both are easily cut with a plasma
      > cutter to size and then are easily machined on a lathe. As you can
      > see on the pictures posted they are made in 3 pieces and then
      welded
      > together, I posted pictures [spacer 1, 2 ,3 ] and then a series of
      > photos [154 with] to show them mounted.
    • mark_carlo2000
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 10, 2004
        Steve, last fall I purchased AG tires for my 154. I had narrow turf
        tires but I was frustrated with the slipping I was doing when trying
        to grade dirt on a hill. (my whole yard is one big hill) I have a set
        of tire chains but didn't want to be bothered with putting them on
        and taking them off for plowing and mowing applications. Long story
        short, I can't say enough about the AG tires I put on that tractor.
        I plowed 6 inches of snow up and down several paved drives, some of
        which had a slope close to 35 degrees incline for 80 feet. I don't
        think I ever lost more than a quarter of a tire turn in traction. I
        was totally impressed so the chains are still hanging in my shed.

        A few months back I posted a URL for a company that sells Blems. So
        I have a set of Titan AG Blems for half the price and I'm smiling ear
        to ear. Pic of the tires in "Greg's 154".

        Just my two cents worth.

        Good luck, Greg

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, sjfoss2002 <no_reply@y...>

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 11, 2004
          Greg,

          This sounds like the way to go (for me, anyway). The AG tire blem URL
          pointed my to Nebraska Tire, which is less than 30 miles from me. Now
          all I need to do is find a pair of skinny rims.

          Can someone here tell me if the rims made for the older Farmall cubs
          will fit onto the "modern" numbers series? If so, this will give me a
          wider market to draw from. Does anyone have a pair of skinny rims
          they want to sell?

          After looking at your photo, I wonder what size tires you have. Are
          they 8.3 X 24 or the 9.5 x 24 ? I'm guessing that bigger would be
          getter in this case.

          I also noticed that your tractor did not have wheel weights. Do you
          have liquid in the tires, or hang weights off the back end?

          Thanks for your help

          Steve
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "mark_carlo2000"

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 11, 2004
            Steve, the tires are 8.3 x 24 and I paid $160.00 for the pair
            (Nebraska tire). I do not use weights and do not have liquid in my
            tires. I just dropped my air pressure down to 16 PSI. That took
            most of the "hop" out of the ride when driving on pavement. At this
            PSI you should not experience any tire sidewall wrinkle either.

            Hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
              Thanks, Greg, for the information. I would never have thought of
              reducing the pressure to improve the traction. I'll let you know;
              probably next winter by the time I get this done AND we have enough
              snow. Of course now I've jinxed it and we'll have snow from now until
              July (;-).