Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 154 Hard to Start (now that I need it)

  • Danny Shy
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
      Hi,

      Besides having a problem with the screen in the sediment bowl being plugged  there may be a problem with water in your fuel system freezing.  It would be a good idea to put some "Heet" in the gas tank.

      Shutting off the gas tank valve is a must.  I got a 1954 Ford tractor from my brother and he had left the gas tank valve open.  When I drained the oil it seemed to be more gas than oil.   Hopefully I got to it before any permanent damage was done.

      Danny
      Southeast Missouri

      crnrpost <crnrpost@...> wrote:
      Hello.

      I bought my 154 in September and I haven't had any problems getting
      it started up until now.  I is under cover in my barn and I have a
      crankcase heater plugged in to ungel the oil.  I can get it to turn
      over but it will not stay running.  I figure I ended up flooding it
      (if that is possible with an updraft carb) so I pulled the plugs and
      cleaned them out.  I almost got it started to run, but again it died
      on me.  I have the choke on full, although the previous owner
      indicated that it would be best to keep it in halfway when cold, and
      push it in slightly once it starts (hoping it will stay running).  I
      know that I might have a carb issue (original) since it tends to leak
      a little when it sits (previous owner rebuilt it) but I noticed that
      it looks like more is coming out during this hole trying-to-start
      business.

      General maintenance was done on it before winter set in which
      included replacing the plugs.  I have sprayed starter fluid on the
      plugs to assist in starting, but all I am getting is a running
      tractor for about 20 seconds before it dies as if it is not pulling
      the gas in.  From there, I have to let it sit before it seems to want
      to try it again.

      Anyone have any thoughts.

      Jeff

      p.s. - need parts - get in touch with Ray.  He has set me up on parts
      to restore my 154 at reasonable prices...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
        With all the damp rainy ugly weather we've been having, I notice a
        pretty rapid buildup of crud on the distributor rotor and the metal
        pieces inside the distributor cap. Keeping those clean and dry helps
        a whole lot when trying to start the beast. Don't think that just
        because it's cold and dry you won't have condensation inside the
        distributor. It doesn't take much to snuff the spark enough to give
        you problems....good luck
        Barry
        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Danny Shy <radconshy@y...>

        Service.

      • crnrpost
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
          Thanks Gibster. I will look into this. Hopefully my dealer has these
          on hand.

          Jeff

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "gibster09" <gibster09@h...>
          wrote:
          > I'll bet your screen in the fuel separator is plugged. Get a
          neoprene
          > gasket from TSC or Case IH before you pull it apart to clean it,
          once
          > those cork gaskets have been used they always leak. While you're at
          > it, get a new screen, too. They are cheap, I buy several at a time
          > and keep spares. Any time one of mine starts running crummy, first
          > thing I do is clean the fuel screen, that fixes it 85% of the time.
          >
          > If the carb leaks when it sits that means that you are not shutting
          > off the gas at the separator. You can drain the entire tank out one
          > drop at a time through the carb like this, all of these old LoBoy
          > carbs leak like this. The trick is to sut the gas off when you park
          > it, and when you go to use it again turn the gas ALL THE WAY ON.
          This

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
              Thanks Danny. I did at fuel protectant when I filled the tank a few
              weeks ago so I think I am fine there. But I am not sure which way is
              off/on for the fuel shutoff. Right now I have it in the middle with
              the lever pointing down.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
                Thanks Barry. After talking with someone ealier today, they had
                mentioned that as well.

                Jeff

                --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <barry_s_u@h...>