Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] lube clutch release bearings

  • Danny Shy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
      On my 154 I had to lub the grease fitting from the top, so I had to take off the cover over the driveshaft and pto shaft.

      Danny
      Southeast Missouri

      "Steve W." <wittefamily@...> wrote:
      There is a zerk fitting on the clutch release bearings on my 154.
      Myron mentioned it the other day so I searched it out.  (Of course
      it's shown in the manual too, I guess I should have read it
      closer).  Anyway, I haven't been able to connect my grease gun to
      this fitting.  It's not positioned in the easiest place to access
      and I can't really see it, but I can feel it.  Is the fitting
      positioned so that it points upward or does it point toward the
      front of the tractor? Would it help to remove the housing that
      covers the drive shaft?  How does anyone else lube this fitting?
      Thanks for your advice.
      Steve

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Steve Witte
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003

        Thanks Danny, that's what I figured, I'll do that.  Is there anything else I need to know?  Will something other than the drive shaft/pto cover need to be removed and will standard tools work, or is it as easy as it seems?  (They seldom are).  The reason I ask is I'm currently keeping my lo boy at my cottage in northern Michigan, a 5 hour drive from home.  I don't have all the tools there that I have here at home and don't want to be missing something basic.  It's a long drive into town from my cottage.  Thanks again.

        Steve

        >From: Danny Shy
        >To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] lube clutch release bearings
        >Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:11:32 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >On my 154 I had to lub the grease fitting from the top, so I had to take off the cover over the driveshaft and pto shaft.
        >
        >Danny
        >Southeast Missouri
        >
        >"Steve W." wrote:
        >There is a zerk fitting on the clutch release bearings on my 154.
        >Myron mentioned it the other day so I searched it out. (Of course
        >it's shown in the manual too, I guess I should have read it
        >closer). Anyway, I haven't been able to connect my grease gun to
        >this fitting. It's not positioned in the easiest place to access
        >and I can't really see it, but I can feel it. Is the fitting
        >positioned so that it points upward or does it point toward the
        >front of the tractor? Would it help to remove the housing that
        >covers the drive shaft? How does anyone else lube this fitting?
        >Thanks for your advice.
        >Steve
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Danny Shy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
          I just used a large flat tipped screw driver to take the cover hold-down bolt out.  If the hold-down bolt won't come out with the screwdriver you may have to use vise-grips.  I also had to remove the gear shift knob and move the lever around a little to get the cover off.

          I used a grease gun with a flexible rubber hose to be able to get on the grease fitting.

          Keep an watch on the release bearing so as not to over grease it.

          Danny.
          Southeast Missouri