154 hard steering ??

  • jedmc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
      I have just purchased a Cub lo boy 154. The steering is almost
      impossible to turn. You can turn it, but its very hard. Takes two
      hands. I disconnected the linkage from the gear box to see if the
      problem was in the front end or the steering sector.. The wheels will
      turn from side to side easily with the linkage disconnected.
      The steering wheel still will not turn without two hands.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks;
      je
    • ssayers184
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
        JE...the steering gear is silly simple...a steering shaft with a
        worm gear on the end of it. There is a plate mounted to the
        steering arm that the steering yoke attaches to. It has a tab that
        fits into the worm gear. There is also an upper and lower bearing.
        If I was guessing, I would have to say you have a bad bearing or
        two. You can replace the lower without removing the steering box.
        the upper requires removing the steering wheel, steering box,
        opening it up and removing the sttering shaft. If the bearings are
        shot, clean up the races with emory cloth and put in new bearings
        and put her back together. Shoot it full of grease and it should
        steer like it has power steering as long as the machine is moving.

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "jedmc" <jedmc@m...> wrote:
        > I have just purchased a Cub lo boy 154. The steering is almost
        > impossible to turn. You can turn it, but its very hard. Takes two
        > hands. I disconnected the linkage from the gear box to see if the
        > problem was in the front end or the steering sector.. The wheels
        will
        > turn from side to side easily with the linkage disconnected.
        > The steering wheel still will not turn without two hands.
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks;
        > je
      • rick piecki