Re: Down and out Flywheel

  • mbounds_e9
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
      -Hmmmmm The flywheel on a Cub C-60 engine is attached to the
      crankshaft at the rear of the engine. The 154 does have a rear
      mounted clutch with a brake on it though. What are we dealing with
      here???? Myron
    • bearhollow2003
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
        SORRY , IT WOULD HELP TO KNOW MY 154 IS ,I BELIEVE ,EARLY 1970 OR SO.
        CHASSIS #FOUBM265933 + ENGINE #010344.THE FLYWHEEL I AM TALKING
        ABOUT IS ATTACHED TO REAR DIFFERENTIAL. THANKS FOR POINTING OUT MY
        FORGETTING THAT INFO.
      • mbounds_e9
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
          Well.... I was gently trying to point out that there ain't no
          flywheel at or near the differential on any Cub or Lowbow (154 or
          not, early or late). Please order yourself some manuals from
          www.binderbooks.com, ident the parts correctly, then ask the question
          again. We w o u l d like to help.... Might you be talking about the
          clutch pressure plate?? Myron
        • bearhollow2003
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
            -MYRON I GUESS MY TERMINOLOGY IS DIFFERENT. SORRY , I GUESS THE OE
            PARTS MANUAL CALLS IT A PRESS. PLATE PART #531-708-R11.TO PART #531-
            708-R12 . IM SO USED TO AUTOMOTIVE DESCRIPTIONS , I CALLED IT A
            FLYWHEEL. SIGNED BEGINNER AT WORK!!
          • mbounds_e9
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
              --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "bearhollow2003"
              <velcro@c...> wrote:
              > -MYRON I GUESS MY TERMINOLOGY IS DIFFERENT. SORRY , I GUESS THE
              OE
              > PARTS MANUAL CALLS IT A PRESS. PLATE PART #531-708-R11.TO PART #531-
              > 708-R12 . IM SO USED TO AUTOMOTIVE DESCRIPTIONS , I CALLED IT A
              > FLYWHEEL. SIGNED BEGINNER AT WORK!!

              There is a flywheel on the 154, its just that it's on the the engine
              like most automotive applications & not the differential. You were
              saying "front while pointing to your rear". Clutch pressure plates
              are also the same nomenclature in manual shift automotive
              applications. There are several sources for these parts. Your local
              Case/IH dealer for one. We also have them at
              www.frankstractorparts.com
              Other members may have some of those parts too. Ya just got to ask
              for the right ones. Myron
            • knuckles4u
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, mbounds_e9 <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:
                > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "bearhollow2003"
                > <velcro@c...> wrote:
                > > -MYRON I GUESS MY TERMINOLOGY IS DIFFERENT. SORRY , I GUESS
                THE
                > OE
                > > PARTS MANUAL CALLS IT A PRESS. PLATE PART #531-708-R11.TO PART
                #531-
                > > 708-R12 . IM SO USED TO AUTOMOTIVE DESCRIPTIONS , I CALLED IT A
                > > FLYWHEEL. SIGNED BEGINNER AT WORK!!
                >
                > There is a flywheel on the 154, its just that it's on the the
                engine
                > like most automotive applications & not the differential. You
                were
                > saying "front while pointing to your rear". Clutch pressure plates
                > are also the same nomenclature in manual shift automotive
                > applications. There are several sources for these parts. Your
                local
                > Case/IH dealer for one. We also have them at
                > www.frankstractorparts.com
                > Other members may have some of those parts too. Ya just got to ask
                > for the right ones. Myron

                To everyone that has a manual and reads it. Notice the press plate
                bolts to the INPUT FLYWHEEL. Lets give the guy a little help and not
                so much grief. If you don't have a manual, go to your local CIH
                parts counter and ask for an input flywheel for a 154 - they will
                hand you one for about $100.
                Damn,I wish everyone could be perfect!
              • mbounds_e9
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                  -
                  > Damn,I wish everyone could be perfect!

                  Hi...

                  Well, if we had been discussing the 184, you might have a point.
                  However the tractor involved was a 154 (also applies to the 185) and
                  the clutch assembly is no where near the flywheel on those Models. A
                  carefull review of the TC-131, Section 7, as well as the Service
                  Manual sections for the 154 & 185 reveals no mention of an "input"
                  flywheel. Didn't find it under the 184 either, where the clutch
                  assembly IS bolted to the engine flywheel, although there is
                  numerous mentions of the "engine" flywheel. Please cite the page,
                  paragraph & line number of the manual you are using. If I am
                  incorrect, I'll admit so and learn something. Myron
                • bearhollow2003
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                    Myron I AM SORRY I CAUSED ALL THIS COMMOTION ABOUT MY WRONG
                    TERMINOLOGY !! YOU WERE RIGHT CALLING IT A PRESSURE PLATE. BUT I
                    STILL WONDER IF ANYONE HAS THAT REAR PRESSURE PLATE (OEM#531-708-
                    R11) + CLUTCH BRAKE RETAINER (OEM#404-641-R1).THESE ARE FOR MY 154
                    LOWBOY. I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH USED OR POSS. NEW. WHEN THE PIN BROKE
                    IT BROKE THE HUB APART + BROKE THE BRACKET ,WHICH WAS ONLY 2 MONTHS
                    OLD IN TWO PARTS. ITS CAST AND THEY TELL ME IT CANT BE WELDED.
                    THANKS AGAIN , I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP !!! DAVE
                  • mbounds_e9
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                      -Dave: No appology needed. Please check your Email. Myron
                    • knuckles4u
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                        > Well, if we had been discussing the 184, you might have a point.
                        > However the tractor involved was a 154 (also applies to the 185)
                        and
                        > the clutch assembly is no where near the flywheel on those Models.
                        > carefull review of the TC-131, Section 7, as well as the Service
                        > Manual sections for the 154 & 185 reveals no mention of an "input"
                        > flywheel. Didn't find it under the 184 either, where the clutch
                        > assembly IS bolted to the engine flywheel, although there is
                        > numerous mentions of the "engine" flywheel. Please cite the page,
                        > paragraph & line number of the manual you are using. If I am
                        > incorrect, I'll admit so and learn something. Myron

                        Service Manual GSS1408 W/Revision 4, September 1978
                        Page 4-10 Paragraph #4 "Remove the six bolts securing the pressure
                        plate assembly to the input flywheel. Remove the pressure plate
                        assembly and the clutch disk."
                      • mbounds_e9
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                          -
                          >If I am incorrect, I'll admit so and learn something. Myron
                          >
                          > Service Manual GSS1408 W/Revision 4, September 1978
                          > Page 4-10 Paragraph #4 "Remove the six bolts securing the pressure
                          > plate assembly to the input flywheel. Remove the pressure plate
                          > assembly and the clutch disk."

                          You are certainly correct. That is exactly what the manual says in
                          that one place only. Another example of IH "creative" manual writing.
                          Now the crunch: Can we find an "input flywheel" in Section 7, TC-
                          131, the driveline section, IH Parts Catalog for the 154. I can't. My
                          TC-131 is Revision 19 issued 12/80. The bottom line is likely that
                          there ain't no such thing despite the English majors in IH Manual
                          publications. Parts Catalogs, on the other hand, were written by
                          Parts people who can be expected to call parts by their designated
                          names. The only thing there that uses 6 bolts (#23)isn't called
                          an "input" anything muchless a flywheel. Myron
                        • dave
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                            wrote:
                            > -
                            > >If I am incorrect, I'll admit so and learn something. Myron
                            > >
                            > > Service Manual GSS1408 W/Revision 4, September 1978
                            > > Page 4-10 Paragraph #4 "Remove the six bolts securing the
                            pressure
                            > > plate assembly to the input flywheel. Remove the pressure plate
                            > > assembly and the clutch disk."
                            >
                            > You are certainly correct. That is exactly what the manual says in
                            > that one place only. Another example of IH "creative" manual
                            writing.
                            > Now the crunch: Can we find an "input flywheel" in Section 7, TC-
                            > 131, the driveline section, IH Parts Catalog for the 154. I can't.
                            My
                            > TC-131 is Revision 19 issued 12/80. The bottom line is likely that
                            > there ain't no such thing despite the English majors in IH Manual
                            > publications. Parts Catalogs, on the other hand, were written by
                            > Parts people who can be expected to call parts by their designated
                            > names. The only thing there that uses 6 bolts (#23)isn't called
                            > an "input" anything muchless a flywheel.
                            Myron

                            It sounds like some of the members need to get a job because they
                            have too much time on there hands quoting TC,s, revisions and so on.
                            Tha man just wanted some help finding a part and everyone knows what
                            he is talking about but "proper treminology" seems to be much more
                            important than assisting him in repairing his machine. (just one mans
                            oppinion) Dave T.