185 steering gear housing

  • pockel59 <pockel59@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
      I need a steering gear housing for my 185. Does anybody have one in
      decent shape for sale at a reasonable price.

      Don Hoffman
    • ssayers184 <ssayers4@msn.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
        Don...what is wrong with yours? If the top portion of the shaft
        where the steering wheel bolts to the shafted has severe rust, you
        can remove the steering box, disassemble the steering gear and take
        the shaft out. I took mine to a machine shop and they cut out the
        bad section (about 12") and welded on a new shaft. They had to cut
        a slot in the shaft for a wudruff key in the shaft and steering
        wheel and thread the end of the shaft for a bolt, but it worked
        GREAT. I was only able to find 1 steering gearbox for $250 after
        calling a long list of salvage yards, but other than the shaft and
        bearings (which are replaceable) I can't imagine too much going
        wrong unless the worm gear is completely rusted.

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "pockel59 <pockel59@y...>"