Re: Stuck PTO clutch
> Answers #1 NEW belts and tightened properlyHi again RBS: Just trying to identify the problem.
> #2 PTO clutch,I thought I said that,sorry if I didnt.
> #3 Everything cleaned and greased right,not too much not to
> #4 The output shaft.You could be right!
> #5 Sorry for the misinformation.
1. Working on this problem will be much easier if the frame cover &
the fender set have been removed.
2. Ref # 3 above: "Everything" gives me absouletly no clue as to what
3. The end of the output shaft in which the main PTO shaft is
inserted has some needle bearings inside. My observation and
experience has been that most owners do not know about the zerk on
the output shaft so they never grease the needle bearings. Its
possible that the needle bearings are frozen or that they have
eaten/split out the end of the output shaft and are binding. In any
case, replace those needle bearings (abt $8). The output shaft is
about $300.00 (ouch). If the fender set & the frame cover have been
removed you can see if this is the problem.
4. The clutch itself may have been improperly assembled (you got
a "used" one didn't you) if someone has ever replaced the clutch
plates. There has to be a requisite number of those little wavy
spring spacers to separate the plates. Easy to screw this up ((:-}
been there & done that). Do you have the Roto-Cam clutch instruction
sheet?? When all else fails, it sure helps to read the instructions.
Do you have the parts & service manuals for the tractor??? All this
is in there. www.binderbooks.com will solve your problem.
5. The engagement/disengagement of the clutch depends on a ball
bearing between the cam plates (one is attached to the handle & the
other to the frame). Pull up the handle & the ball bearing rolls out
of a detente which allows the plates to engage. Pushing the handle
down rolls the ball bearing onto the detente & releases the plates
from contact. This has to work right or....
Hope this helps. Keep trying & we'll get there. (:-}....
- OK.Let me start from scratch.Got CLtuch in from Ray,had input and
putout shafts with it.Completelt disassebled the clutch unit,was
pretty greasey,but when turned by hand seemed to work good.Took
everything apart at work,didnt have nothing else to do that
day,cleaned it up and inspected thing and found only thing it really
needed was the front bearing,just behind the drive pulley,but changed
both the front and the one on the output shaft.Had both input and
out shafts checked for straightness both were good so I reassmebled
the clutch unit.Again tried it by hand and seemed to work
good.Installed in tractor,everthing fit perfectly so I thiught I was
on the right track.I pulled up the handle,tried to turn the output
shaft and it would turn,pushed the handle back down and it turned so
I thought that was right.I got out my grease gun and greased the
needle bearings you refer to.As Igresaed it I turned the outpit
shaft and then shot a little more grease and turned it some more,done
that I gues about 5 times.Strated up the engine and output shaft was
spinning.CHecked the lever and made sure it wasnt engaged and it
wasnt but shaft couldnt be stopped.Stooped engeine and reahed back to
turn it and it was spinning but it was tight then got looser the more
I turned it.
OK here is what I did this morning.I took the unit back out,evrything
appeared normal and by hand worked right.Now on top of the tranny is
the peice with two bolts that one side of the rotocam goes into.Under
it were washers on each bolt hole,are those suppose to be there?It
looks as though the extra hiegth is letting the clutches get close
enough to engage and get hot enough to stick and whenI shut down the
engine thats why I can spin the output shaft hard at first then it
- Hi Again...
I suspect that there are two problems:
1. What you suggested-If that cleat is up too high then the ball
bearing may not be seating in the detente completely.
2. You over greased those needle bearings with 5-or more shots.
Shouldn't have been over two. So its likely that you have slung
excess grease into the plates & that's where you are getting
the "sticky" results. Those plates must not have even a hint of
grease on them. Dry. Dry. Dry. Can't over emphasize the need for
those plates to be dry (lube/grease dry - water isn't the problem
here). Clean 'em up & try it again. I lube my needle bearings about
once a year & then only two shots from the hand grease gun. Myron
- I took the two washers out from under the cleat.I suspect that they
were put under there to compensate for wear to the cleat.Took the
clutch back apart and cleaned off the excess grease,althoug it wasnt
much.Seems to be working good now,but it has started pouring down
rain here today so iguess I am done for the day!Thanks for your hlp
and Ill keep you posted on what happens with it.I have ordered my
pulley for the deck so well see what happens when it comes in.I am
not in a big hurry to get it going,grass wont start growing for at
least a month!Thanks again!