Re: Stuck PTO clutch

  • mbounds_e9
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2003
      > Answers #1 NEW belts and tightened properly
      > #2 PTO clutch,I thought I said that,sorry if I didnt.
      > #3 Everything cleaned and greased right,not too much not to
      > little.
      > #4 The output shaft.You could be right!
      > #5 Sorry for the misinformation.

      Hi again RBS: Just trying to identify the problem.

      1. Working on this problem will be much easier if the frame cover &
      the fender set have been removed.

      2. Ref # 3 above: "Everything" gives me absouletly no clue as to what
      was "greased".

      3. The end of the output shaft in which the main PTO shaft is
      inserted has some needle bearings inside. My observation and
      experience has been that most owners do not know about the zerk on
      the output shaft so they never grease the needle bearings. Its
      possible that the needle bearings are frozen or that they have
      eaten/split out the end of the output shaft and are binding. In any
      case, replace those needle bearings (abt $8). The output shaft is
      about $300.00 (ouch). If the fender set & the frame cover have been
      removed you can see if this is the problem.

      4. The clutch itself may have been improperly assembled (you got
      a "used" one didn't you) if someone has ever replaced the clutch
      plates. There has to be a requisite number of those little wavy
      spring spacers to separate the plates. Easy to screw this up ((:-}
      been there & done that). Do you have the Roto-Cam clutch instruction
      sheet?? When all else fails, it sure helps to read the instructions.
      Do you have the parts & service manuals for the tractor??? All this
      is in there. www.binderbooks.com will solve your problem.

      5. The engagement/disengagement of the clutch depends on a ball
      bearing between the cam plates (one is attached to the handle & the
      other to the frame). Pull up the handle & the ball bearing rolls out
      of a detente which allows the plates to engage. Pushing the handle
      down rolls the ball bearing onto the detente & releases the plates
      from contact. This has to work right or....

      Hope this helps. Keep trying & we'll get there. (:-}....
      Myron
    • rbsfarmalls
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
        OK.Let me start from scratch.Got CLtuch in from Ray,had input and
        putout shafts with it.Completelt disassebled the clutch unit,was
        pretty greasey,but when turned by hand seemed to work good.Took
        everything apart at work,didnt have nothing else to do that
        day,cleaned it up and inspected thing and found only thing it really
        needed was the front bearing,just behind the drive pulley,but changed
        both the front and the one on the output shaft.Had both input and
        out shafts checked for straightness both were good so I reassmebled
        the clutch unit.Again tried it by hand and seemed to work
        good.Installed in tractor,everthing fit perfectly so I thiught I was
        on the right track.I pulled up the handle,tried to turn the output
        shaft and it would turn,pushed the handle back down and it turned so
        I thought that was right.I got out my grease gun and greased the
        needle bearings you refer to.As Igresaed it I turned the outpit
        shaft and then shot a little more grease and turned it some more,done
        that I gues about 5 times.Strated up the engine and output shaft was
        spinning.CHecked the lever and made sure it wasnt engaged and it
        wasnt but shaft couldnt be stopped.Stooped engeine and reahed back to
        turn it and it was spinning but it was tight then got looser the more
        I turned it.

        OK here is what I did this morning.I took the unit back out,evrything
        appeared normal and by hand worked right.Now on top of the tranny is
        the peice with two bolts that one side of the rotocam goes into.Under
        it were washers on each bolt hole,are those suppose to be there?It
        looks as though the extra hiegth is letting the clutches get close
        enough to engage and get hot enough to stick and whenI shut down the
        engine thats why I can spin the output shaft hard at first then it
        gets better.?
      • mbounds_e9
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
          Hi Again...

          I suspect that there are two problems:

          1. What you suggested-If that cleat is up too high then the ball
          bearing may not be seating in the detente completely.

          2. You over greased those needle bearings with 5-or more shots.
          Shouldn't have been over two. So its likely that you have slung
          excess grease into the plates & that's where you are getting
          the "sticky" results. Those plates must not have even a hint of
          grease on them. Dry. Dry. Dry. Can't over emphasize the need for
          those plates to be dry (lube/grease dry - water isn't the problem
          here). Clean 'em up & try it again. I lube my needle bearings about
          once a year & then only two shots from the hand grease gun. Myron
        • rbsfarmalls
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
            I took the two washers out from under the cleat.I suspect that they
            were put under there to compensate for wear to the cleat.Took the
            clutch back apart and cleaned off the excess grease,althoug it wasnt
            much.Seems to be working good now,but it has started pouring down
            rain here today so iguess I am done for the day!Thanks for your hlp
            and Ill keep you posted on what happens with it.I have ordered my
            pulley for the deck so well see what happens when it comes in.I am
            not in a big hurry to get it going,grass wont start growing for at
            least a month!Thanks again!