voltage regulator

  • freitas218
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
      does any one know where i can get a new voltage reulator for my
      starter generator for my cub 185
    • sjfoss2002
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
        Check out EBAY, item # 3309949345

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, freitas218 <no_reply@y...>
      • DEAN COLLIER <DCOLLIER@MOTION.NET>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, sjfoss2002 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Check out EBAY, item # 3309949345
          >
          > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, freitas218 <no_reply@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > does any one know where i can get a new voltage reulator for my
          > > starter generator for my cub 185

          I GOT MINE FROM A LOCAL BATTERY COMPANY THAT REBUILDS STARTERS AND
          GENERATORS. THEY KNEW THE REPLACEMENT I NEEDED.
        • DEAN COLLIER <DCOLLIER@MOTION.NET>
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
            wrote:
            > Check out EBAY, item # 3309949345
            >
            > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, freitas218 <no_reply@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > does any one know where i can get a new voltage reulator for my
            > > starter generator for my cub 185

            I GOT MINE FROM A LOCAL BATTERY COMPANY THAT REBUILDS STARTERS AND
            GENERATORS. THEY KNEW THE REPLACEMENT I NEEDED.
          • khricken
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
              wrote:
              > Check out EBAY, item # 3309949345
              >
              > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, freitas218 <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > does any one know where i can get a new voltage reulator for my
              > > starter generator for my cub 185

              I got mine from www.valu-bilt.com. About $30

              The unit works great.
            • crego624
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                Hi,
                I have a 154 that is putting out 18 volts.
                It is boiling the water out of the battery.
                The generator/starter was recently rebuilt by a repair man and a new
                regulator was installed. I didn't know if the regulator was different
                than a regulator on any other tractor since the gernerator is also the
                starter. I have never worked on one but my father in-law said he
                thought the regulator should be adjustable, but we didn't have any
                instructions and were unable to have any success. If anyone can help it
                would be appreciated.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                  The proper output is 13.6 volts maximum. Yes, mechanical regulators are
                  adjustable, and the contacts can be cleaned. But if you don't know what
                  you are doing, you might be better off just replacing the whole
                  regulator. Chances are that the contact points are burned or are sticking.

                  You should also check the wiring diagram and be sure that everything is
                  connected up properly.

                  Mike

                  crego624 wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > I have a 154 that is putting out 18 volts.
                  > It is boiling the water out of the battery.
                  > The generator/starter was recently rebuilt by a repair man and a new
                  > regulator was installed. I didn't know if the regulator was different
                  > than a regulator on any other tractor since the gernerator is also the
                  > starter. I have never worked on one but my father in-law said he
                  > thought the regulator should be adjustable, but we didn't have any
                  > instructions and were unable to have any success. If anyone can help it
                  > would be appreciated.
                • crego624
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                    Thanks Mike, My Father in-law worked on cars 30 years ago and is
                    rusty on just what to do. Everything worked when we had it rebuilt
                    this spring. Didn't Know if standing on the side of the tractor
                    looking at the regulator if you want to adjust the right or left
                    side. Also their is a hair thin wire in the left cornor that was
                    loose, we tried to reconect it it's hard to tell if we got it or not.
                    Is that important?--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                      There is usually a very small ground wire on most voltage regulators,
                      since the body of the regulator is usually rubber isolated from the
                      mounting ears (to reduce vibration). The ground wire is usually riveted
                      to the body and one of the mounting ears. What would happen if the
                      regulator isn't grounded would depend on whether the regulator is an "A"
                      circuit or a "B" circuit.

                      I suspect that if you do some Google searches for things like "charging
                      circuit generator voltage regulator problems" (or some variations), you
                      will find some interesting stuff, like
                      <http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/6v_charge_system/index.htm>

                      I have a book called "The Charging Circuit" from United Motor Service (a
                      former division of GM) in .pdf form that goes through a detailed
                      explanation of all of this, and I would be happy to send it, but it is
                      13 meg in size.

                      Mike

                      crego624 wrote:

                      > Thanks Mike, My Father in-law worked on cars 30 years ago and is
                      > rusty on just what to do. Everything worked when we had it rebuilt
                      > this spring. Didn't Know if standing on the side of the tractor
                      > looking at the regulator if you want to adjust the right or left
                      > side. Also their is a hair thin wire in the left cornor that was
                      > loose, we tried to reconect it it's hard to tell if we got it or not.
                      > Is that important?--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:ihcubloboyseries%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike
                      > Sloane <mikesloane@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The proper output is 13.6 volts maximum. Yes, mechanical regulators
                      > are
                      > > adjustable, and the contacts can be cleaned. But if you don't know
                      > what
                      > > you are doing, you might be better off just replacing the whole
                      > > regulator. Chances are that the contact points are burned or are
                      > sticking.
                      > >
                      > > You should also check the wiring diagram and be sure that
                      > everything is
                      > > connected up properly.
                      > >
                      > > Mike
                      > >
                      > > crego624 wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Hi,
                      > > > I have a 154 that is putting out 18 volts.
                      > > > It is boiling the water out of the battery.
                      > > > The generator/starter was recently rebuilt by a repair man and a
                      > new
                      > > > regulator was installed. I didn't know if the regulator was
                      > different
                      > > > than a regulator on any other tractor since the gernerator is
                      > also the
                      > > > starter. I have never worked on one but my father in-law said he
                      > > > thought the regulator should be adjustable, but we didn't have any
                      > > > instructions and were unable to have any success. If anyone can
                      > help it
                      > > > would be appreciated.

                    • crego624
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                        -Thanks for the info I'll do the google search.-- In

                      • crego624
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                          -Thanks for the info I'll do the google search.-- In
                          ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...> wrote:

                          > There is usually a very small ground wire on most voltage
                          regulators,
                          > since the body of the regulator is usually rubber isolated from the
                          > mounting ears (to reduce vibration). The ground wire is usually
                          riveted
                          > to the body and one of the mounting ears. What would happen if the
                          > regulator isn't grounded would depend on whether the regulator is
                          an "A"
                          > circuit or a "B" circuit.
                          >
                          > I suspect that if you do some Google searches for things
                          like "charging
                          > circuit generator voltage regulator problems" (or some variations),
                          you
                          > will find some interesting stuff, like
                          > <http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/6v_charge_system/index.htm>
                          >
                          > I have a book called "The Charging Circuit" from United Motor
                          Service (a
                          > former division of GM) in .pdf form that goes through a detailed
                          > explanation of all of this, and I would be happy to send it, but it
                          is
                          > 13 meg in size.
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >
                          > crego624 wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Thanks Mike, My Father in-law worked on cars 30 years ago and is
                          > > rusty on just what to do. Everything worked when we had it rebuilt
                          > > this spring. Didn't Know if standing on the side of the tractor
                          > > looking at the regulator if you want to adjust the right or left
                          > > side. Also their is a hair thin wire in the left cornor that was
                          > > loose, we tried to reconect it it's hard to tell if we got it or
                          not.
                          > > Is that important?--- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:ihcubloboyseries%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike
                          > > Sloane <mikesloane@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > The proper output is 13.6 volts maximum. Yes, mechanical
                          regulators
                          > > are
                          > > > adjustable, and the contacts can be cleaned. But if you don't
                          know
                          > > what
                          > > > you are doing, you might be better off just replacing the whole
                          > > > regulator. Chances are that the contact points are burned or
                          are
                          > > sticking.
                          > > >
                          > > > You should also check the wiring diagram and be sure that
                          > > everything is
                          > > > connected up properly.
                          > > >
                          > > > Mike

                          > > new
                          > > different
                          > > also the
                          > > help it

                        • DBigdog
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                            Mike,
                                If it's not too much trouble I'd like a copy.

                             BD

                            crego624 wrote:

                            > Thanks Mike, My Father in-law worked on cars 30 years ago and is
                            > rusty on just what to do. Everything worked when we had it rebuilt
                            > this spring. Didn't Know if standing on the side of the tractor
                            > looking at the regulator if you want to adjust the right or left
                            > side. Also their is a hair thin wire in the left cornor that was
                            > loose, we tried to reconect it it's hard to tell if we got it or not.
                            > Is that important?-- - In ihcubloboyseries@ yahoogroups. com
                            > <mailto:ihcubloboys eries%40yahoogro ups.com>, Mike
                            > Sloane <mikesloane@ ...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The proper output is 13.6 volts maximum. Yes, mechanical regulators
                            > are
                            > > adjustable, and the contacts can be cleaned. But if you don't know
                            > what
                            > > you are doing, you might be better off just replacing the whole
                            > > regulator. Chances are that the contact points are burned or are
                            > sticking.
                            > >
                            > > You should also check the wiring diagram and be sure that
                            > everything is
                            > > connected up properly.
                            > >
                            > > Mike
                            > >
                            > > crego624 wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Hi,
                            > > > I have a 154 that is putting out 18 volts.
                            > > > It is boiling the water out of the battery.
                            > > > The generator/starter was recently rebuilt by a repair man and a
                            > new
                            > > > regulator was installed. I didn't know if the regulator was
                            > different
                            > > > than a regulator on any other tractor since the gernerator is
                            > also the
                            > > > starter. I have never worked on one but my father in-law said he
                            > > > thought the regulator should be adjustable, but we didn't have any
                            > > > instructions and were unable to have any success. If anyone can
                            > help it
                            > > > would be appreciated.

                          • Larry P
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2013
                              Every time I put a new voltage regulator on my 154 it will only last for about a year or so. What am I doing wrong?
                              Larry