Re: Original Offset Cub Lo-Boy Owner

  • smalltractorboy
    Message 1 of 1425 , May 6, 2000
      You know the strangest thing is that, whenever I
      go into my local CASE/IH dealer (H.B. Duvall in
      Frederick, Maryland) and say that I have a Lo-Boy, they
      immediately think 154. After the guy at the parts counter
      pulls out the wrong manual, I say "No, it is a not a
      154. It is a shorter version of the Cub with the final
      drives rotated 90 degrees and shorter front spindles."
      It is truly amazing to see how few people have ever
      seen one of these tractors. Only one of the old-timers
      in the parts department seems to remember the offset
      Lo-Boy. <br><br>Anyway, here is my Lo-Boy's restoration
      page: <a href=http://www.fred.net/turtle/tractor/markscub.html. target=new>http://www.fred.net/turtle/tractor/markscub.html.</a>
      I am considering putting this tractor up for sale
      when I complete the restoration in a few weeks. If you
      live near Frederick, Maryland and would like to own a
      restored 1959 Lo-Boy, please make an offer I cannot refuse
      (biocyn@....)<br><br>Also, the 154, 185, 184 are all good tractors. They are
      examples of how IH adapted an existing power plant for a
      new market. In many ways, the offset Lo-Boy could be
      considered a kludge. It was a quick fix to fill the need for
      an acreage mowing/landscaping (aka estate) tractor
      during the move to the suburbs in the 50s. The 154, 185,
      and 184 are all machines that were designed from the
      ground up to be mowing tractors. While they lack the
      quaint styling of the offset Lo-Boy, they do have
      additional features that make them better suited to the job
      of maintaining large acreage.
    • Bob Naylor RCN@ZOOMTOWN.COM
      Message 1425 of 1425 , Jul 7, 2009
        Yes, just listed one on E-Bay under HAMILTONBOB
        Thanks