Re: DIAGNOSE MY WOODS59/154 PROBLEM PLEASE

  • creeperdr
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
      --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., "gumneck" <tom@w...> wrote:
      > Well, after a ton of money and lots of waiting, I finally got the
      > woods 59 under the 154. Everything I thought was mounted up right
      and
      > ready to mow. When I got on and pulled the pto lever up, it wasn't
      > doing any cutting of grass. The blades seemed to not be turning
      fast
      > enough. I'm thinking I dont have enough tension on the belt via the
      > idler pulleys. If someone can give some ideas I'd appreciate it.
      >
      > Just so you know the facts, I have the front chains seven links
      high.
      > The rear mounting is in the second hole on the idler bracket and
      > second hole from rear of mower on channel bracket.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Tom

      Tom,
      What size pulley do you have on the pto shaft. If it is to small your
      blades will not turn fast enough.

      Dave
    • gumneck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 6:25 AM
        Dave,
        I measured the pulley and looks like a diameter of 6.5 inches. Also,
        I feel I need to push mower forward a couple of holes on the channel
        bracket b/c there is no more room with idler pulleys to adjust
        tension on the belt. (Looking from rear of tractor) the left idler is
        all the way up and the right idler all the way down. I'm sure that is
        wrong.
        Tom

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., creeperdr <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., "gumneck" <tom@w...> wrote:
        > > Well, after a ton of money and lots of waiting, I finally got the
        > > woods 59 under the 154. Everything I thought was mounted up right
        > and
        > > ready to mow. When I got on and pulled the pto lever up, it
        wasn't
        > > doing any cutting of grass. The blades seemed to not be turning
        > fast
        > > enough. I'm thinking I dont have enough tension on the belt via
        the
        > > idler pulleys. If someone can give some ideas I'd appreciate it.
        > >
        > > Just so you know the facts, I have the front chains seven links
        > high.
        > > The rear mounting is in the second hole on the idler bracket and
        > > second hole from rear of mower on channel bracket.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance,
        > > Tom
        >
        > Tom,
        > What size pulley do you have on the pto shaft. If it is to small
        your
        > blades will not turn fast enough.
        >
        > Dave
      • creeperdr
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 7:50 AM
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., "gumneck" <tom@w...> wrote:
          > Dave,
          > I measured the pulley and looks like a diameter of 6.5 inches.
          Also,
          > I feel I need to push mower forward a couple of holes on the
          channel
          > bracket b/c there is no more room with idler pulleys to adjust
          > tension on the belt. (Looking from rear of tractor) the left idler
          is
          > all the way up and the right idler all the way down. I'm sure that
          is
          > wrong.
          > Tom
          >
          > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., creeperdr <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., "gumneck" <tom@w...> wrote:
          > > > Well, after a ton of money and lots of waiting, I finally got
          the
          > > > woods 59 under the 154. Everything I thought was mounted up
          right

          You should have a pulley that is 7 1/2" outside diameter. I am not
          sure if you are measuring it that way or not. Also, you should try to
          even up your idler pulleys a little more. Do you have a new belt? I
          just bought a new one for mine from the Woods dealer and they gave me
          a Pix brand belt # 18440. It was very tight with both idler pulleys
          all the way up. Let me know what you come up with.

          Dave
          > > and
          > > > ready to mow. When I got on and pulled the pto lever up, it
          > wasn't
          > > > doing any cutting of grass. The blades seemed to not be turning
          > > fast
          > > > enough. I'm thinking I dont have enough tension on the belt via
          > the
          > > > idler pulleys. If someone can give some ideas I'd appreciate
          it.

          > > > Just so you know the facts, I have the front chains seven links
          > > high.
          > > > The rear mounting is in the second hole on the idler bracket
          and
          > > > second hole from rear of mower on channel bracket.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance,
          > > > Tom
          > >
          > > Tom,
          > > What size pulley do you have on the pto shaft. If it is to small
          > your
          > > blades will not turn fast enough.
          > >
          > > Dave
        • twactoruk
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 3:47 AM
            I replaced the belt on my L59 last year. I had to move the mower deck
            forward one hole to take up the slack.

            Richard

          • barry_s_u
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 8:35 PM
              --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., twactoruk <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              I just had this problem with my oods. tried to tighten the belt...no
              good. still ran slowly if the blades were catching any grass at all.
              Pulled off the back sheet metal and found that I could (with engine
              off and in gear)) engage the PTO, pull on the mower belt and the
              drive pully would spin. (PTO clutch was not locked up. Took off the
              PTO clutch and rebuilt with parts from the 154. Actually the thing
              that might have solved the problem was my adding additional shims to
              the disk-pack to reduce it's overall length and tighten it more when
              engaged. added the shims on the end toward the front of the tractor
              right between the spirol clip and the larger end plate. Works great
              now.

            • mbounds_e9
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3 8:58 AM
                RE Woods Blades:

                1. Woods makes both left rotation & right rotation blades that will
                fit your deck!

                2. Your deck needs the right rotation blades.

                3. Make sure that the cutting edge is down & facing the direction of
                rotation.

                4. If you have the correct blades on backwards, have the left
                rotation blades on or the left rotation blades on upside down (faces
                correct rotation but cutting egde will be up), you won't be cutting
                much - mostly just knocking the grass/weeds over....Myron