RE: RE: RE: New Cub Lo Boy 154 owner

  • serious_machining
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2013

      Tex - Here is entire response you were searching for.  I copied it from the Daily Digest.  - Dennis A.

      Tex, Congratulations on your new-to-you 154. The cooling
      system is a thermosyphon. It doesn't have a water pump and is
      not a pressurized system. The radiator does not get filled all
      the way up to the neck. Some fluid will boil out the overflow
      tube while running, (especially when nose down) but the system
      should find a happy spot just above the fins. Since this tractor
      is new to you, it would probably be in your best interest to
      replace the fluids. A lot of people also find it beneficial to
      remove the bottom radiator hose and clean the crud out of the
      bottom of the engine water jacket with a hose. Refill with the
      green antifreeze. The sputtering may really be "running out
      of gas". Next time, shut down the tractor, open the gas tank and
      listen for a sucking sound as you are opening. The vent in the
      gas cap may be blocked. IH had a recall with the gas caps and
      you can order a new free one with the following website:
      http://www.ihgascap.com/index.aspx
      <http://www.ihgascap.com/index.aspx> Also, look for items in
      the gas tank that could be blocking the intake line (like a
      leaf). Might require cleaning out the water separator bowl and
      cleaning the screen. If fuel doesn't seem to be the issue,
      then you may need to replace the coil. A coil that is breaking
      down may act in this way.

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, <ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Tex - Are you left-clicking on the subject line or on the text body ?  Either should work.  I assume you are viewing the message via the web site in the new Yahoo "Neo" format.  Strange and inconsistent things do happen with "Neo".  Just keep trying.  - Dennis Anderson, Group Owner

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, <ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Sorry but I am new to this kind of format. Could some one explain how I view intloboy184's response? I can only see the first few words and when I click on it there is just his name? Thanks!

      Tex

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, <scb0421@...> wrote:

      I was lucky to pick up this great little tractor. It's been great fun using and learning about it. I am new to tractors so I look forward to learning from you all. I have had it for a few weeks and it has been running great until the other day. I have a slight slope in my yard and was going down nose first and some fluid spewed out from the radiator cap. As soon as I was level it stopped. I shut it down to make sure it wasnt boiling over, which it wasnt. When I tried to restart it was really dragging but finally fired up. I mowed for about another half hour and it began to sputter like it was running out of gas so I coasted to the shed and when I stopped I noticed like it had a rapping sound coming from the engine. However when I dropped the throttle all the way down to idle it went away. Anyhow after a few hours of cooling down I checked the radiator and it had plenty of fluid/antifreeze and it started right up like it usually does, also the rapping noise was gone? So I am thinking maybe it has a cooling problem and was wondering if there was a way to test the cooling system and make sure it is working right. I welcome all input and info and hope to hear from y'all. Thanks!

      Tex
    • scb0421