Re: Mike Sloane

  • northcreek2624
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 21, 2013
      Darrell, thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like Mike is on the mend and that's great news.Please keep us updated..Mike.

    • weber6040@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 27, 2013
        Finally had a chance to get to the farm and put a new coil on. Mowed for about two hours with no problems. Thanks for all the replies.
        Barry

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sweeney <mshm99@...> wrote:

        > intloboy184 got it right . While you're at it replace the condenser and
        > points and you're good for several years.
        >
        > Had mine since 74
        >
        > Mike

      • northcreek2624
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 28, 2013
          Hopefully you used a coil with an internal resistor.If not it will soon fail again.The correct coil is an LU800 and can be bought at most auto parts stores,some manufacturers may use other numbers.

        • weber6040@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 30, 2013
            Northcreek. My cub has a resistor on the back of the alternator. I just went to the auto parts store and bought one that used an external resistor.

            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, northcreek2624 <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Hopefully you used a coil with an internal resistor.If not it will soon fail again.The correct coil is an LU800 and can be bought at most auto parts stores,some manufacturers may use other numbers.
            >
            > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "weber6040@" <weber6040@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Finally had a chance to get to the farm and put a new coil on. Mowed for about two hours with no problems. Thanks for all the replies.
            > > Barry
            > >
            > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sweeney <mshm99@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > intloboy184 got it right . While you're at it replace the condenser and
            > > > points and you're good for several years.
            > > >
            > > > Had mine since 74
            > > >
            > > > Mike

          • northcreek2624
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 30, 2013
              The resistor on the alternator has nothing to do with your ignition it just takes the place of an idiot light used in auto applications.The coil needs it's own ballast resistor or it will fail.

            • ihcubloboyseries-owner@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 11, 2013
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                  I had not started my Cub 154 for a few months. I got it started last night and it only ran with the choke open. I assume I need to clean the carb...no problem.

                  However, it died and when I turned the key to start it again...Nothing. I mean no whir, no turning of the start motor, no clicking, etc. I did a quick check and no lights. Now the battery is okay. I ran out of time to do much further. I suppose it could be a loose battery connection but it had started just a few minutes earlier. Maybe a loose wire on the starter?? Ideas??

                  Larry Hardesty
                  Kearney, Nebraska
                • Jpw19798
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                    Could be a bad ignition switch, starter solenoid, or a bad safety relay on the clutch or pto.

                    Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                        I will start with that ...it is the easiest, cheapest solution...hope that is it.

                        Larry Hardesty
                        Kearney, Nebraska

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                          Sounds like Mike is making real progress, and hopefully will be back
                          home soon!!!

                        • northcreek2624
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                            Check to see if your gas cap is venting.I bought a new one once from CIH and had the same problem that you are having and found that the cap had no vent provision....Mike.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                              Yep, I cleaned the battery terminals and it started right up. Never had one do it quite that way...that is lose connection right after I had started it once.

                              Thanks for the help.

                              Larry

                              Larry Hardesty
                              Kearney, Nebraska