Mike Sloane

  • Darrell Ratliff
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 20 9:06 AM
          Those of you who have been on this list for some time might be missing responses from Mike Sloane.  Mike was recently rushed to the hospital with a diagnosis of a brain tumor.  He has had surgery and appears to have done well.  I don’t know what his prognosis is but I have always known Mike to be a gentleman quick to respond with accurate information to those with questions.  He could certainly use our thoughts and prayers.
          I will try to update as I get information.
    • Tim Stone
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 20 8:01 PM
        Thanks Darrell

        Mike is one of the good guys. Keep us updated. I will keep him in our prayers..

        Tim S...

        Sent from my iPad

        On Jul 20, 2013, at 12:06 PM, "Darrell Ratliff" <DBigdog@...> wrote:

            Those of you who have been on this list for some time might be missing responses from Mike Sloane.  Mike was recently rushed to the hospital with a diagnosis of a brain tumor.  He has had surgery and appears to have done well.  I don’t know what his prognosis is but I have always known Mike to be a gentleman quick to respond with accurate information to those with questions.  He could certainly use our thoughts and prayers.
            I will try to update as I get information.

      • Craig Flint
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 21 7:01 AM
          He has been added to my prayer list.

        • mc32spl
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 21 3:33 PM
            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Craig Flint <cdflint1@...> wrote:

            > He has been added to my prayer list.

            Same here. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Mike.
          • northcreek2624
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 21 6:48 PM
              Darrell, thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like Mike is on the mend and that's great news.Please keep us updated..Mike.

            • weber6040@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 27 6:28 PM
                Finally had a chance to get to the farm and put a new coil on. Mowed for about two hours with no problems. Thanks for all the replies.
                Barry

                --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sweeney <mshm99@...> wrote:

                > intloboy184 got it right . While you're at it replace the condenser and
                > points and you're good for several years.
                >
                > Had mine since 74
                >
                > Mike

              • northcreek2624
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 28 6:23 PM
                  Hopefully you used a coil with an internal resistor.If not it will soon fail again.The correct coil is an LU800 and can be bought at most auto parts stores,some manufacturers may use other numbers.

                • weber6040@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 30 6:56 PM
                    Northcreek. My cub has a resistor on the back of the alternator. I just went to the auto parts store and bought one that used an external resistor.

                    --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, northcreek2624 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Hopefully you used a coil with an internal resistor.If not it will soon fail again.The correct coil is an LU800 and can be bought at most auto parts stores,some manufacturers may use other numbers.
                    >
                    > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "weber6040@" <weber6040@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Finally had a chance to get to the farm and put a new coil on. Mowed for about two hours with no problems. Thanks for all the replies.
                    > > Barry
                    > >
                    > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sweeney <mshm99@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > intloboy184 got it right . While you're at it replace the condenser and
                    > > > points and you're good for several years.
                    > > >
                    > > > Had mine since 74
                    > > >
                    > > > Mike

                  • northcreek2624
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 30 8:37 PM
                      The resistor on the alternator has nothing to do with your ignition it just takes the place of an idiot light used in auto applications.The coil needs it's own ballast resistor or it will fail.

                    • ihcubloboyseries-owner@yahoogroups.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 11, 2013
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                          I had not started my Cub 154 for a few months. I got it started last night and it only ran with the choke open. I assume I need to clean the carb...no problem.

                          However, it died and when I turned the key to start it again...Nothing. I mean no whir, no turning of the start motor, no clicking, etc. I did a quick check and no lights. Now the battery is okay. I ran out of time to do much further. I suppose it could be a loose battery connection but it had started just a few minutes earlier. Maybe a loose wire on the starter?? Ideas??

                          Larry Hardesty
                          Kearney, Nebraska
                        • Jpw19798
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                            Could be a bad ignition switch, starter solenoid, or a bad safety relay on the clutch or pto.

                            Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                              Larry,
                                  I have a standard cub that did the same thing.  The battery post / cable connections had some corrosion that was not obvious without removing the cables.  I suggest you remove the battery cables and clean the battery posts and cable connectors. – Clean both cables and both battery posts and check all other battery cable connections to be sure.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                                I will start with that ...it is the easiest, cheapest solution...hope that is it.

                                Larry Hardesty
                                Kearney, Nebraska

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                                  Sounds like Mike is making real progress, and hopefully will be back
                                  home soon!!!

                                • northcreek2624
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                                    Check to see if your gas cap is venting.I bought a new one once from CIH and had the same problem that you are having and found that the cap had no vent provision....Mike.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
                                      Yep, I cleaned the battery terminals and it started right up. Never had one do it quite that way...that is lose connection right after I had started it once.

                                      Thanks for the help.

                                      Larry

                                      Larry Hardesty
                                      Kearney, Nebraska