Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Got an ignition problem with my 1980 184. Can't get a spark to the new plugs.

  • Tim Stone
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 7:39 AM
      Hi Jimmy take a hard look at the old cap compared to the new one. Have you tried putting the old cap back on? It is possible you got a defective cap or rotor. Or it has a carbon short inside. Try one thing at a time and it should show up.

      Tim S....

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 5, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Jimmy Lawson <jimmydlaws@...> wrote:

      Got power to coil, even jumped from the battery to test it. Distributor is turning the rotor, but I don't know if rotor is connecting to the cap. I guess I will try a continuity test from center of distributor cap to the spark plug wire, but since I have new cap and rotor I suspect they are good.
      New plug wires, no, but the direct connection from the coil to the spark plug shows spark. I'll let you know of my results. Thanks for your help and keep my problem churning out more possibilities.
       Thanks from not so sunny Rushford, NY south of Letchworth State Park.

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Kent Morris <kmokgm@...> wrote:

      Do you have power from the ignition switch to the coil? Is the distributor rotor shaft turning?
      Kent

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Jimmy Lawson <jimmydlaws@...> wrote:

      Hi all of you loboy geniuses. My 184 quit. Couldn't get a spark at the #1 plug. New Pertronics, new distributor cap, new rotor. Pertronics tech guy sent a test of the module which checks out. High output coil measures 3+ ohms. I can get a spark direct from center output of the coil to the plug. I haven't had the distributor out in 6+ years so don't think that the timing should have changed. My idea is that the problem is between the coil and the distributer spark plug output which focuses on the rotor and distributor cap.Both have been replaced in my trial and error method of repair.
      Anyway, I am stymied as to how and what to test.
      Any suggestions will be welcomed. I am at a loss and western NY continues to have great weather for grass growing so I'm up to my knees in the green stuff.
      Have a great Independence Day.
      Jim Lawson

    • intloboy184
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8 10:09 AM
        If it is only #1 cylinder without a spark, then it is probably a carbon short on the distributor cap.
        If no cylinders have spark, then pull the rotor and inspect the center contact. Clean and apply a little dielectric grease. Also look over the contact on the rotor. It's supposed to be square. If rounded on the end, then replace rotor.

        Since you are getting spark at the coil wire then power to the distributor and pertronix function is fine. Focus on the rotor, distributor cap and maybe the plug wires (should be copper core wires).