[IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Re: Dragging logs

  • FrankenCub
    Message 1 of 29 , May 23 8:25 PM
      There's a guy near me who has one of those, really nice machine. Uses it just to mow his lawn. Way out of my price range though. They usually bring $3500+ here.

      On the poor clutch issue, can the 154 clutch be upgraded to what is used on the 184 ? There's a 154 down the road from me that I don't think I should pass up due to the price. Very respectable condition with the snow thrower, snow blade, and a mower deck...that does need help though, not bad enough I can't save it. Tires all like new and supposed to run like new.

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "James P. Williams" <jpw19798@...> wrote:

      > If I was going to buy one for that application, I would go with something like a 284, it’s available in diesel or gas, plus after 1982, they had 4x4 on them, much stronger clutch, and still compact enough to get into tighter spaces.
      >
      > Just my opinion on it.
    • fastforklift1
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 6, 2014
      • 1 Attachment
      • 140 KB

      I'm a bit late in responding, but I've been dragging logs with my 184 and it is amazing.  I mounted a Ramsey 8000lb winch on the 3 point hitch for pulling them out of the inaccessable places, then pull them up close, getting the butt off the ground.  I have skidded logs that, I'm sure outweighs the tractor.  Only had the front end come off the ground once, but I don't think flipping over backwards is much of a concern.  The log would be on the ground with the front wheels a few inches of the ground. I've also heard of the Fords flipping over, so I've been very careful.  I think the majority of the force is exerted below the rear axle, making it more stable.  See the attached picture, with the chains and the weight of the logs on the 3 point, I've dragged big logs up some logging trails in the woods that had pretty good slope.  I call it the little skidder that could.

      Tom

    • northcreek2624
      Message 3 of 29 , Apr 6, 2014
        Yeah...A guy with a 184 told me that of all his tractors he preferred using the 184 for log skidding because it didn't sink in and rut up the trails like the heavier machines...Mike.
      • fastforklift1
        Message 4 of 29 , Apr 13, 2014
          I agree with that.  They don't call them flotation tires for nothing.
        • Dh
          Message 5 of 29 , Apr 14, 2014
            My only caution would be when pulling heavy objects like logs or scraper blades, the rear frame does not have a lot of steel to mount to the transaxle , I have seen several crack and torn holes on the top rear mounts, check them and do not overload the little tractors

            Dave Hull Sent from my iPhone
          • fastforklift1
            Message 6 of 29 , Apr 18, 2014
              True, mine was broke when I bought it. It didn't have a 3 point hitch on it at the time and was only used for mowing.  This was a definite weak spot on these tractors. I vee'd out the break and welded it.  About a year later it broke again.  I plated it and used a longer bolt and had no trouble since.
            • northcreek2624
              Message 7 of 29 , Apr 19, 2014

                Yeah.. and the 184 frame was even beefed up a little from the earlier tractors. I always thought IH did a great job in modernizing a 1940's tractor but, I have to wonder what they where thinking in the way they attached the frame to the transaxle. That part always looked "barn  jobbed" to me.

                  There probably should have been a casting piece for the transition but, they were no doubt cost conscious with all the CUT competition coming into play....Mike.

              • FirstVette
                Message 8 of 29 , Mar 28

                  There's a pin connection for the belly mower, low/under the Axel and forward of the 3pt hitch. I'd weld-up a skid cradle to winch my logs into mounted to them, with forward extensions so I could use the Mower Lift hydraulics to raise them off the ground a little for dragging. Guaranteed never to lift your front wheels.