throttle hard to move

  • BoyceR
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 9:58 AM
      1980 184, for two years now I have ran my 184 wired wide open because the throttle handle was broken. I finally decided to do something about it. I replaced the throttle handle with a universal fit, and cannot change the throttle even with a good handle.
      So, I have noticed that I have to take my prybar to the short arm coming off the governor(under the alternator) and work it back and forth that way. It is way too stiff to expect any throttle cable/handle to operate.
      <y question is why is it so hard to move? It has one spring that I can see on the other side going to the radiator support area. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this a problem in the governor or somewhere else in the linkage, or normal?

      Boyce
    • yamaguy0101
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5 6:13 AM
        Boyce I had this issue recently as well. The throttle cable on my 154 was seized and I broke it trying to go to full throttle. I tried to manually move the throttle lever at the govenor, but until i took the throttle cable off it would not move. I replaced it with a universal throttle kit I got from farm & fleet. I am betting that is your issue as well.
      • James Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5 6:22 AM
          Get a new throttle cable assembly at IH. Costs about 30 bucks and its 100% fit.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 6 5:22 PM
              Kent, and others thanks. I've been away from the computer a few days and just now got your responses. The cable isn't the problem. The problem as Kent mentioned is the short arm at the governor doesn't move properly. I have to use a pry bar to work it back and forth. So, I didn't see any grease fitting there....Should I rmeove the hood to see things more clearly? I'm guessing that short arm attached to a shaft going into the governor. Not much there to clean and lube unless I've overlooked a grease fitting. Hate the thought of removing the governor for OH to fix this. May have to wait another season as the grass is a growin'!

              Boyce
            • Darrell Ratliff
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6 5:33 PM
                If the arm is moving but stiff spray some penetrating oil on it and keep moving it until it frees up then lube generously.  It is a common problem with the C-60 engine.  Especially on tractors that sit out in the weather.

                Kent, and others thanks. I've been away from the computer a few days and just now got your responses. The cable isn't the problem. The problem as Kent mentioned is the short arm at the governor doesn't move properly. I have to use a pry bar to work it back and forth. So, I didn't see any grease fitting there....Should I rmeove the hood to see things more clearly? I'm guessing that short arm attached to a shaft going into the governor. Not much there to clean and lube unless I've overlooked a grease fitting. Hate the thought of removing the governor for OH to fix this. May have to wait another season as the grass is a growin'!

                Boyce

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7 4:11 AM
                  I had one on a '52 Farmall Cub that was so badly "frozen" that I broke
                  it trying to move it.
                  <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/brokengovernorarm.html>
                  Fortunately I was able to get the two pieces welded together. I cleaned
                  everything up, applied a healthy coating of anti-seize compound, and
                  everything is fine.

                  Mike

                  On 5/6/2013 8:33 PM, Darrell Ratliff wrote:
                  > If the arm is moving but stiff spray some penetrating oil on it and
                  > keep moving it until it frees up then lube generously. It is a
                  > common problem with the C-60 engine. Especially on tractors that sit
                  > out in the weather. *From:* BoyceR <mailto:rampeyboy@...> *Sent:*
                  > Monday, May 06, 2013 8:22 PM *To:* ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com> *Subject:* Re: [IH CUB
                  > LoBoy Numbered Series] throttle hard to move

                • BoyceR
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7 5:49 PM
                    wow, what a difference! I'm hoping it will free up some more as it sits overnight. I sprayed it with PB blaster and worked it back and forth and it is way way better already. maybe another day or two of exercise it will be like new! Postponing my plans to change the throttle linkage for now. Happy happy!

                    Boyce