Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] 185 Starting problem's got me talking to myself....

  • Tim Stone
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2013
      Sounds like your battery. Not enough amps. 100 amps is low considering most batteries can produce 3 to 4 hundred amps cca. Your reading at 12.11VDC is a little low also. Usually closer to 13. A weak or shorted cell will cause you to just not have enough amps. Can you get on of your known good batteries to hook up to the cables for a test. Could save you a lot of time.

      Just my 2 cents..

      Tim S...
      Sent from my iPad

      On May 1, 2013, at 7:14 PM, bigsteamer@... wrote:

      The old girl was cranking slow so I took the motor generator to a shop and had it rebuilt. Didn't seem to make much difference; she still cranked slow. Left the tractor alone for over the winter and then charged up the battery and she won't crank at all. Cleaned the battery terminals. Just a clicking under the dash. Put the battery charger on 'start', tried again and got a buzzing under the dash. The multi meter had the battery voltage at 12.11 after the charge. I would have thought the battery might be bad, but it should have turned over with the battery charger putting out 100 amps? Tried to follow the service manual diagram - and it might be the 'magnetic switch'? That must be the starter solenoid (but they can't call it that because the 185 has a motor/starter/generator?).

      Any ideas will be much appreciated!

      Jerry