Tachometer drive question

  • northcreek2624
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
      Does anyone know the ratio of the distributor tach drive.Iam looking for the rotation of the cable to engine RPMs ratio.
      This was used on the early offset Cubs. I have a nifty mechanical tach 1:1 ratio that I would like to use to replace the electric tach that I presently have.
      The tach drives are pretty pricy when you can find one so I don't want to get one if the ratio is not correct...thanks,Mike.
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
        Mike,

        Until you get a better answer, it's not 1:1.
        Both the tach drive gear and the distributor gear drive off the same pinion gear. The tach drive gear is described as having 32 teeth. A picture of the distributor drive on the internet looks like it also has 32 teeth. My assumption is the tach RPM is the same as the distributor which is half the engine RPM.

        Kent

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 25, 2013
          Thanks Kent,what you're saying makes sense.I might just come off of the crankshaft direct or find some other project to fiddle with...Mike

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14, 2013
            I was able to purchase a tach drive off of a IH 300,apparently most of the 4 cyl. tractors used the same two versions of the drive(I have the early version with lash adjustment)either one will work.
            As for ratio,it is 32 teeth to 32 teeth,so it is a 2:1 ratio,same as the dist.
            I will probably get this tach. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281076835327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
            Because the tach that I have is 1:1.
            If anybody knows the correct procedure for setting the drive gear lash,please let me know...Mike.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 14, 2013
              Mike,

              The tach you are looking at is for the Farmall Cubs that run high idle at about 1800-2000 RPM. The 154 at 2420 and the 184 at 2510 will have this tach pegged 2400 RPM.

              Kent

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 14, 2013
                Yeah,I was thinking about that too.I would be reversing my present problem which is a marine tach that reads 8k RPM,so the needle lives in the bottom third of the scale. A 3000-3500 range tach is what I'll be looking for,then again I only mow with this tractor and usually not at full throttle so I haven't ruled out the Cub tach. completely ....Mike.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 14, 2013
                  I one time thought of adding a tachometer as well and also found  the economical ones are automotive that have an 8-10K scale.

                  I suppose there are opinions on the subject of full throttle operation. But, but for mowing, snowblowing or other heavy load operations, you should always run the engine at full throttle. You will only get full rated power from the engine when operated at full throttle and in the range between the specified No-Load and Full Load RPM. Also, supposedly the mower deck is designed for maximum cutting efficiency with a specified blade speed expressed on feet/second at full throttle. At full throttle you can shift the transmission to achieve a ground speed within a range that doesn't over load the engine and doesn't bounce you off the seat.

                  For tachometers with a 3-4K scale, you may have luck searching in the category for industrial engines. SurplusCenter.com has one but it's for a 6 cylinder. There are also digital tachs that pick up off a spark plug wire.. Some can be programmed for maintenance interval reminders. Maybe even an IH tach from a newer vintage higher RPM tractor. For example, search ebay for "IH 454 Tachometer". It may take more research to ensure a compatible installation.

                  In the end, that Cub tach would look nice and would give you MPH. I not an expert on the internal workings of a the tachometer, but I don't know that it would hurt anything it to let it peg at 2400. Perhaps there are some tach experts that could answer that question.

                  Kent

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 14, 2013
                    Kent,you make some great points.As for reduced throttle mowing I was implying that I often mow at 154/185 rpms which my Woods mower works good with because the 59 mower is the same for 154-184 machines.
                    The little that I know about the internal workings of a mech.tach is that there is no direct linkage,in other words the needle is dragged by a rotating magnet so my guess is that it would go freely beyond full scale as long as there is no peg to stop it.
                    I'll keep looking for a suitable tach...I seem to enjoy the parts search as much as the project:).....thanks for the input,Mike.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                      Update: Kent I went with your suggestion to use the IH454 tach,it is a 2:1 ratio and they are cheap to buy,and although offshore in origin seem nice for the money.A Ford 8N cable is the perfect length but has to be slightly modified by filing the drive end tip from tang drive to square.I plan to check it against my strobe tach for accuracy.I took a few fast pics...Mike.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                        Mike,
                        Checked out your tach pictures. Good job. Looks great.
                        Kent