Pto won't shut off

  • dbeals154
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
      just purchased 154 in relatively good shape, but PTO won't disengage--is the handle to the left rear of seat the in/out for PTO?-- no matter which way I have it-- what would be the best manuals from Binder Books-- the Parts manual?--does the service manual contain how/ what to serevice AND parts manual?--thanks Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
      Dave,

      To cover everything, 5 manuals. 154 Owner's Manual, Parts Manual (covers 154,185 & 184), Service Manual (covers 154, 185 & 184), Deck Owner's Manual and deck parts manual.

      The must have is the repair work on the tractor is the Service Manual. You also need an Owner's Manual for the tractor and deck. You can usually find parts diagrams online, but it's nice to have a hard copy at hand. For the deck, you need to identify the deck you have. You may have any one of about 5 models. If it's a Woods deck, you can download a manual from the Woods website.

      PTO clutch. The clutch is TB Woods multi-disc. The early ones had a nut for adjustment, later used shims. The clutch is activated by pulling the PTO knob up. Pulling the knob up engages the clutch through ramps and roller balls that compress the clutch pack together. I have attached some info on the clutch.

      Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
        thank you Kent-- will try tomorrow in the light of day-- and will go to binderbooks and order all 3 of their books--Dave