184 Electrical Question

  • lou747jeeps
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
      I have a 184 lo boy that will not shut down when I turn the key off. It is not dieseling, just keeps running like the key was still on. After about a minute, it starts missing and then slowly dies. I replaced the key switch and still have the problem. I am guessing it is a bad ground. I cleaned the ground wire to the distributor and still no luck. I then engaged the electric PTO switch and then the engine shuts down as it should. I'm now guessing I have a bad ground to the electric PTO. That's going to be my next item to check out. Does anybody have any other suggestions. I don't think the PTO switch has a separate ground wire and it probably picks up its ground from the PTO clutch.

      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Lou

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
          Thanks Kent,

          I will throw a new resistor on the alternator and see what happens. That is a quick and easy to do, and it would not be a bad idea to have a new one on there anyway. I will let you know.

          Thanks again,

          Lou

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Kent Morris wrote:

          > Check the resistor on the alternator. The function of the resistor is to
          > drop voltage feeding back from the alternator. If the function is bypassed,
          > the feedback from the alternator will feed the ignition coil and result in
          > exactly what you are describing.
          > The wiring diagram in the parts book shows the resistor in the coil circuit
          > which is incorrect. The service manual diagram is correct. The resistor is
          > described as a 25 ohm. An idiot light or diode may be substituted in place
          > of the resistor.
          >
          > Kent
          >
          > On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM, lou747jeeps wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I have a 184 lo boy that will not shut down when I turn the key off. It is
          > > not dieseling, just keeps running like the key was still on. After about a
          > > minute, it starts missing and then slowly dies. I replaced the key switch
          > > and still have the problem. I am guessing it is a bad ground. I cleaned the
          > > ground wire to the distributor and still no luck. I then engaged the
          > > electric PTO switch and then the engine shuts down as it should. I'm now
          > > guessing I have a bad ground to the electric PTO. That's going to be my
          > > next item to check out. Does anybody have any other suggestions. I don't
          > > think the PTO switch has a separate ground wire and it probably picks up
          > > its ground from the PTO clutch.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Lou

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
            I was going to reply much the in the same vein, but Kent beat me to it.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
            For the resistor to cause the problem it would either have to be shorted or the wrong resistor. Resistors are more likely to burn open rather than short out. A common ignition resistor doesn't have enough resistance. The original is rated at 25 ohms.
            Perhaps it's wired wrong. One end of the resistor is connected to one of the terminals on the two-wire connector on the alternator. The other end of the resistor should be common to the ignition switch with 12 volts whenever the ignition switch is on. This would be the light green wire from the coil.

             An easy test would be to start the tractor, turn the ignition OFF and while the engine is still running pull the light green wire off the resistor and the engine should stop.

            If it's the wrong resistor, you could install an idiot light in the dash. Just connect it into the

            I have attached a wiring diagram.
            Kent