185 ignition question

  • Gary Budd Sr
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
      This group got me through my engine rebuild and I'm back with another question.The engine I'm using was bought used.I did rebuild,the original had a cracked block inside one cylinder.My question is,how do I know if this is setup for 6 or 12 volts? The engine has a starter/generator,12 volt voltage regulator.As long as I'm asking,what is the best way to make sure it's timed correctly?
      As always,thank you
      Gary
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
        First off, to get the timing right, simply go to the page on the service
        manual - there are detailed instructions on timing the distributor. If
        you don't have one, excellent manuals for the 185 can be purchased at
        Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com>.

        The electrical system in the 185 was 12 volt, as far as I know.

        Mike

        On 2/5/2013 7:03 PM, Gary Budd Sr wrote:
        > This group got me through my engine rebuild and I'm back with another
        > question.The engine I'm using was bought used.I did rebuild,the original
        > had a cracked block inside one cylinder.My question is,how do I know if
        > this is setup for 6 or 12 volts? The engine has a starter/generator,12
        > volt voltage regulator.As long as I'm asking,what is the best way to
        > make sure it's timed correctly?
        > As always,thank you
        > Gary

      • Jim Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
          I have the service books for the lo boy on my computer. Lemme know if you want a copy.

          Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

          First off, to get the timing right, simply go to the page on the service
          manual - there are detailed instructions on timing the distributor. If
          you don't have one, excellent manuals for the 185 can be purchased at
          Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com>.

          The electrical system in the 185 was 12 volt, as far as I know.

          Mike

          On 2/5/2013 7:03 PM, Gary Budd Sr wrote:
          > This group got me through my engine rebuild and I'm back with another
          > question.The engine I'm using was bought used.I did rebuild,the original
          > had a cracked block inside one cylinder.My question is,how do I know if
          > this is setup for 6 or 12 volts? The engine has a starter/generator,12
          > volt voltage regulator.As long as I'm asking,what is the best way to
          > make sure it's timed correctly?
          > As always,thank you
          > Gary

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              ihcubloboyseries-digest@yahoogroups.com
              ihcubloboyseries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Gary Budd Sr
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
            If it's not to much trouble could you send me a copy.
            Thank you
            gbuddsr2002@...

            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Jim Williams wrote:

            > I have the service books for the lo boy on my computer. Lemme know if you want a copy.
            >

            > Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
              It is nice of you to make that offer, Jim. The reason that I mention
              Binder Books is that I like to patronize any suppliers that help keep
              these old machines running. Without suppliers like them, it would be
              much harder to find parts and manuals that we need.

              Mike

              On 2/6/2013 8:25 AM, Jim Williams wrote:
              > I have the service books for the lo boy on my computer. Lemme know if
              > you want a copy.
              >

              > Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch
              >

              > -------- Original message -------- Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy
              > Numbered Series] 185 ignition question From: Mike
              > <mikesloane@...> To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com CC:
              >

              > First off, to get the timing right, simply go to the page on the
              > service manual - there are detailed instructions on timing the
              > distributor. If you don't have one, excellent manuals for the 185 can
              > be purchased at Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com>.
              >
              > The electrical system in the 185 was 12 volt, as far as I know.
              >
              > Mike
            • Gary Budd Sr
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
                Jim,Mike is right.I will be ordering the manuals from Binder today.
                Thank you
                Gary

                --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike wrote:

                > It is nice of you to make that offer, Jim. The reason that I mention
                > Binder Books is that I like to patronize any suppliers that help keep
                > these old machines running. Without suppliers like them, it would be
                > much harder to find parts and manuals that we need.
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > On 2/6/2013 8:25 AM, Jim Williams wrote:
                > > I have the service books for the lo boy on my computer. Lemme know if
                > > you want a copy.
                > >

                > > Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch
                > >

                > > -------- Original message -------- Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy
                > > Numbered Series] 185 ignition question From: Mike
                > > To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com CC:
                > >

                > > First off, to get the timing right, simply go to the page on the
                > > service manual - there are detailed instructions on timing the
                > > distributor. If you don't have one, excellent manuals for the 185 can
                > > be purchased at Binder Books .
                > >
                > > The electrical system in the 185 was 12 volt, as far as I know.
                > >
                > > Mike

              • Jim Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
                  The whole point of this group is to spread knowledge and help for our machines. Sorry.

                  Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

                  Jim,Mike is right.I will be ordering the manuals from Binder today.
                  Thank you
                  Gary

                  --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike wrote:

                  > It is nice of you to make that offer, Jim. The reason that I mention
                  > Binder Books is that I like to patronize any suppliers that help keep
                  > these old machines running. Without suppliers like them, it would be
                  > much harder to find parts and manuals that we need.
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > On 2/6/2013 8:25 AM, Jim Williams wrote:
                  > > I have the service books for the lo boy on my computer. Lemme know if
                  > > you want a copy.
                  > >

                  > > Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch
                  > >

                  > > -------- Original message -------- Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy
                  > > Numbered Series] 185 ignition question From: Mike
                  > > To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com CC:
                  > >

                  > > First off, to get the timing right, simply go to the page on the
                  > > service manual - there are detailed instructions on timing the
                  > > distributor. If you don't have one, excellent manuals for the 185 can
                  > > be purchased at Binder Books .
                  > >
                  > > The electrical system in the 185 was 12 volt, as far as I know.
                  > >
                  > > Mike

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
                    Please don't take my comments as being negative. I have sent out single
                    pages from my IH parts manual CD in the past myself. I guess I had two
                    points in mind: 1. help out vendors who are helping us by making scarce
                    parts and documentation available, and 2. anyone who owns a relatively
                    complex machine like a tractor does themselves a favor by acquiring
                    their own inexpensive IH service manual. I should also note that the IH
                    tractors service manuals were not written solely for the professional
                    mechanic; most repairs can be done using common tools and are well
                    documented with excellent photographs. Obviously, things like milling
                    the head or turning down crankshaft journals are best left to the pro,
                    but most other jobs can be done by the owner with a little guidance and
                    a few inexpensive tools. (Before I bought a piston ring compressor, I
                    used a cut up tin can and a couple of hose clamps, and that worked OK.)

                    Speaking of the valuable service manuals, I never bring the service
                    manuals into the shop. I make copies (using a PC flat page scanner) and
                    print out just the pages I need for the day. That way, I can mark them
                    up with notes, get grease and oil on them from my fingers, and otherwise
                    abuse them without having any regrets.

                    Mike