Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Cub 154 Starting problems

  • Michael Sweeney
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 5.7 MB
    Forgive me if this has been covered. It does sound likie a timing issue. Tou need to find top dead center on # 1 cylinder. The only way I trust to do this is to remove the cover on that lets you adjust or observe the valve galley. Hand rotate the engine through the firing squence. remove the distributor cap. turn the engine clock wise till the distrib. rotor is pointing at the #1 position.  rotate the engine clockwise 90 degrees the while observing  the valve lifters You are walking through the firing order.  In any cyylinder you choose the progression will go intake valve open , both valves close compression , exhaust open ,intake open. Observe for a few revollutions and you see the pattern .  Now when you see the compression stroke coming on #1 is your rotor in the right place?
  • Dale Clift
    Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
      There is an easier way to find top dead center. Pull plugs, put thumb over plug hole #1 cylinder, turn engine with breaker bar till you feel compression in cylinder, remove thumb and put a piece of wire, coat hanger, etc down on top of piston, holding this with one hand, continue to turn engine by hand till wire comes up and stops rising. That is top dead center.
      Now pull dist cap, and put number one wire on the cap terminal that rotor is pointing to. Install the rest of your wires in proper order and direction, and fire it up. Kinda basic, but it works and only requires a short piece of stiff wire.

      Dale
      Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
        Dale's method is the best one. Note also that the engine will be at TDC
        twice, so you have a 50-50 shot getting it right the first time. If you
        watch the notch on the crankshaft pulley, you will know when it is
        exactly right. At that position, carefully rotate the distributor so
        that the points are just breaking contact. If everything else is working
        properly (and the spark plug wires are in the correct order), the engine
        will usually start and run. It may not run well, but it will run well
        enough to permit putting a timing light on the pointer and turning the
        distributor to bring the up to the 16° mark on the pulley. It is
        actually easier than it sounds, although you do have to jump back forth
        because IH chose to put the markings on the opposite side of the engine
        from the distributor. The trick is to tighten the distributor clamp just
        enough to permit the distributor to turn with your hand but not loose
        enough to allow it to turn by itself. Also, handle the distributor by
        the body, not the cap (or you could feel a tingle from the spark,
        especially with old wires - been there, done that).

        Mike

      • tpstone3756@yahoo.com
        Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
          One thing we have all forgotten to mention is if you had removed the distributor and put it back in you will need to get the mechanical timing coarse aligned. You will have to line up the timing marks on the pulley and the block TDC basically. Then pull the distributor out far enough to align the rotor to spark plug one location. If you have not removed the distributor then mechanical alignment should not be required unless the pin in the distributor is sheared or broken tooth on distributor or cam shaft. To test that remove distributor cap and rotor button. Turn engine over by hand while gripping distributor shaft checking for mechanical drive. If the pin is sheared or one of the drive gears are stripped you will feel it slip. One key point if this was a running engine and it suddenly stopped there is a reason why. If mechanical timing is good then points are next as they are the fine timing of the engine. Burnt or bad points system including condenser can mimic timing problems. Also inspect the distributor cap for cross shorting due to carbon.

          Troubleshooting and eliminating one thing at a time always works for me.

          Tim S....

          Sent from my iPod