Rear wheels binding on 184

  • twactoruk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2012
      Just recently I've noticed when descending a steep slope on my 184 (in 2nd), the rear wheels appear to "bind up" and then release.

      Any thoughts much appreciated.

      Thanks!

      Richard
    • intloboy184
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
        Start with the simple things first.

        Are the lug bolts tight on the wheels (and spacers if you have them)?
        Are the brakes catching due to a broken pedal return spring?

        Now the harder item:
        Pull the transmission shifter and verify that the shift forks tight. One may be sliding on the shaft causing the transmission to be catching two gears at once.

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Just recently I've noticed when descending a steep slope on my 184 (in 2nd), the rear wheels appear to "bind up" and then release.
        >
        > Any thoughts much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Richard

      • twactoruk
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
          Great - thanks. I'll report back.

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, intloboy184 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Start with the simple things first.
          >
          > Are the lug bolts tight on the wheels (and spacers if you have them)?
          > Are the brakes catching due to a broken pedal return spring?
          >
          > Now the harder item:
          > Pull the transmission shifter and verify that the shift forks tight. One may be sliding on the shaft causing the transmission to be catching two gears at once.
          >

          > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just recently I've noticed when descending a steep slope on my 184 (in 2nd), the rear wheels appear to "bind up" and then release.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts much appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Richard

        • northcreek2624
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
            It's possible that your clutch is slipping and you are getting intermittent engine braking...Mike.

            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Just recently I've noticed when descending a steep slope on my 184 (in 2nd), the rear wheels appear to "bind up" and then release.
            >
            > Any thoughts much appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Richard

          • twactoruk
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 15, 2012
              Thanks Mike,

              I've solved the problem but can't quite understand why it was happening. I'd recently adjusted the brakes (tightening). To determine whether it was transmission or brakes, I coasted down a bank in neutral and the wheels still bound up. I loosened the brakes a couple of turns and the problem went away.