Landscape rake or blade

  • Tractor guy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
      I am thinking about getting eather a rack or blade for my 154, do any of you guys have a recamendation on how wide I can I go with out over loading the 154?
    • serious_machining
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
        Tractor Guy -

        I use a 3 pt hitch mounted 5 foot wide box blade on my 184 and the tractor has no problem pulling/digging the blade. I just cannot lift the box blade if there is any substantial amount of dirt inside it. The weight of the box blade and the "quick hitch" max out the lifting capacity of the 3 pt hitch and hydraulics. Fortunately I have a front-end loader on the 184 which can carry the blade-excavated dirt.

        I would think your 154 could adequately handle a 5' or 6' regular (non-box) blade or a 6' landscape rake -- it all depends on the material to be graded/dug/raked, depth of cut, angle of blade/rake (affects width of cut), condition of your 154 (engine and tires), any ballast, and whether you have the "creeper gear". The mounting location -- front (dozer), center (belly), or rear (3 pt or drawn) might also factor into this determination.

        Perhaps our Group Moderator, Mike Sloane, will chime-in as he has often spoken about the grading he does to his gravel road.

        - Dennis Anderson, Group Owner

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2012
          I would say that 6' is the maximum. But it really depends more on how
          much traction you have and what kinds of materials you are trying to
          move. It also makes a difference if you are going run the implement
          straight or angled, as you lose width when run at an angle.

          I would caution that rakes are only really useful for final preparation
          of lawns. They really aren't much good for any earth moving. So, if you
          are in the landscaping business, a rake is useful. But if you are a
          homeowner, you will likely get much more use out of a blade. (At least
          you can move snow with a blade in the winter.)

          Mike

          On 9/27/2012 8:07 PM, Tractor guy wrote:
          > I am thinking about getting either a rake or blade for my 154, do any of
          > you guys have a recommendation on how wide I can I go with out over
        • mc32spl
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2012
            I have a 4' King Cutter box scrapper (four removable teeth) for behind my 184 and it's worked well for small "excavating" jobs and grading gravel. Would've prefered the 5' box, but needed one and all they had in a light weight box, was a 4'.

            Dug out about a foot of dirt with it several years ago when I widened our driveway. 8' wide and about 60' long, then leveled off the gravel that I had delivered. Didn't have to move the dirt far, as I pulled it over the end of the small decline at the other end of the driveway, leveled it and planted grass.