Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] PTO discs-dry or wet?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 10:02 AM
      Ski,

      The disc are wet or dry. I used to tell a friend to quit greasing because he would end up with a pound of grease in the PTO clutch. I later found the disc are for either wet or dry applications.
      If the tractor is used primarily for mowing, the clutch needs VERY little grease. The only time the greased bearing is in use is when the PTO clutch is released (OFF). While mowing, the bearing is not in use.
      When the PTO clutch is OFF, the plates will rattle. Although I haven't found a specific reference, I believe a rubber "cam cover" is placed around the plate fingers to stop the rattle. The parts manual calls for two cam cover bands. I assume the second is to stop the rattle.
      Kent

      On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Ski <skizman@...> wrote:

      Hello Gents! Concerning a Lo Boy 154...I've never used the PTO. It was noisy, so I took all the discs apart and they were full of greece. Don't know if the shaft has been over-greeced or if they are dry clutch discs. They look pretty thin, but I have no idea how much material they should have on them.
      How do I tell if the PTO clutch discs are dry or wet.....and what is the thickness of say...a new disc? Does anyone have a pic of a new disc?
      Your expertise is always appreciated!
      Thankyou.
      Ski Z.

    • Ski
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
        Yeah it's weird how the the plates can be used wet or dry. Seems that there would be two different plate materials for wet or dry. I wish someone out there had a pic showing the thickness of the plates. I saw a ton of pics but they were all the same angle-looking straight down on the plates.
        I do need that 2nd rubber cam cover.
        Thanks!
        Ski Z

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
        Ski,
        I discovered I don't know what I'm talking about. I recall seeing somewhere the clutches were wet or dry, but perhaps that means they are available in a wet version or dry version.
        I have attached some info on the clutch.

        http://www.tbwoods.com/Products_Mechanical_Clutches_Rotocam.asp

        Kent