New to a 184 & the sight.

  • rowdy_3344837
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      Bought a 184 in very good condition over the weekend. Was serching Google and I came across this group, and found most all of my answers. The 184 is not here at its new home yet, what it does need is a new pressure plate. Our idea was to replace the whole thing. The clutch, pressure plat, face the fly wheel and the throw out bearing.

      What I would like to know from you guys are any tips, tricks, suggestions, thoughts and ideas and other ect. What else should we look at inspect or replace?

      Thank you in advance.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
        Congratulations on your new acquisition!

        The only tip I would provide is to immediately buy a copy of the service
        manual from Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com>. The manual will walk you
        though the process of changing out the clutch and will save you much
        time and bloodshed. Note that the tricky part (for me) is dealing with
        the drive shaft. The directions are thorough, but getting it back enough
        to remove the clutch isn't as obvious at you might think.

        I also suggest you replace the engine rear main seal while you have the
        flywheel off - they tend to leak in older C-60 engines. When you buy the
        new seal, you will find it just a little loose in the carrier, so a shot
        of Loctite 603 anaerobic "flange sealer" or similar is in order to keep
        it in place.

        Some images of my 184 overhaul can be seen at
        <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/>

        Feel free to contact me at <mikesloane@...> if you have questions.

        Mike

        On 7/1/2012 5:29 PM, rowdy_3344837 wrote:
        > Bought a 184 in very good condition over the weekend. Was serching
        > Google and I came across this group, and found most all of my answers.
        > The 184 is not here at its new home yet, what it does need is a new
        > pressure plate. Our idea was to replace the whole thing. The clutch,
        > pressure plat, face the fly wheel and the throw out bearing.
        >
        > What I would like to know from you guys are any tips, tricks,
        > suggestions, thoughts and ideas and other ect. What else should we look
        > at inspect or replace?
        >
        > Thank you in advance.
      • rowdy_3344837
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
          We got the unite home yeasterday with a bounus (so the seller says). He threw in some old speedex. Anyway... on the 184, looking at it closer, the IH deck is in bad shape after looking at it off the unite. It has a rust hole behind the front left wheel. I'm not sure what you call it but, in the deck ware the blades go around their is about a 3" steel that follows the blades as they spin. Those are all rusted and mangled up. Other than more oil leaks found like; axle seal, gaskets on the engine and ect are bad. We still need to remove the sheet metail and look at what we got more closer.

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...> wrote:

          > Congratulations on your new acquisition!
          >
          > The only tip I would provide is to immediately buy a copy of the service
          > manual from Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com>. The manual will walk you
          > though the process of changing out the clutch and will save you much
          > time and bloodshed. Note that the tricky part (for me) is dealing with
          > the drive shaft. The directions are thorough, but getting it back enough
          > to remove the clutch isn't as obvious at you might think.
          >
          > I also suggest you replace the engine rear main seal while you have the
          > flywheel off - they tend to leak in older C-60 engines. When you buy the
          > new seal, you will find it just a little loose in the carrier, so a shot
          > of Loctite 603 anaerobic "flange sealer" or similar is in order to keep
          > it in place.
          >
          > Some images of my 184 overhaul can be seen at
          > <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/>
          >
          > Feel free to contact me at <mikesloane@...> if you have questions.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > On 7/1/2012 5:29 PM, rowdy_3344837 wrote:
          > > Bought a 184 in very good condition over the weekend. Was serching
          > > Google and I came across this group, and found most all of my answers.
          > > The 184 is not here at its new home yet, what it does need is a new
          > > pressure plate. Our idea was to replace the whole thing. The clutch,
          > > pressure plat, face the fly wheel and the throw out bearing.
          > >
          > > What I would like to know from you guys are any tips, tricks,
          > > suggestions, thoughts and ideas and other ect. What else should we look
          > > at inspect or replace?
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance.

        • desoto44142
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
            Hi Rowdy,

            I think you're referring to the baffle that fits underneath the deck that follows the arc of the blades? The baffle was missing from my 185's deck when I bought it, and it still cuts great without it. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about them being damaged, as long as they're not in the path of the blades or at risk of coming off as you mow. I have the 3160 deck.

            Just my $0.02. Best of luck!
            Marty

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
              I believe those "baffles are mainly there to help the clippings get
              blown out of the deck. If they aren't there, the clippings will just
              pile up and drop in clumps. Maybe. The ones on my deck are pretty rusty,
              but they are still hanging in there. it would appear the Rowdy's deck
              has seen a lot of hours, but someone who is handy with a wire welder can
              get things back in working condition, if not a work of art. The biggest
              challenge will be getting down to bare metal so that the welds will
              stick - there are guys and special rods that will weld rusty steel with
              a stick welder, but that is a skill that I don't have. I have to hope
              that my efforts with an angle grinder and wire wheel will be sufficient.

              As far as the tractor itself, you will have to decide how much time and
              money you want to spend on fixing the leaky gaskets. In my case, I very
              rarely fix leaky axle gaskets, unless I am overhauling the rear end -
              adding a little transmission fluid now and then is easier than
              dismantling a rear end to replace one seal. On the other hand, if the
              front or rear crankshaft seals are leaking, you really ought to tend to
              them (a good winter project). The C-60 engine is pretty easy to work on,
              and virtually all of the parts are readily available at reasonable prices.

              From the sounds of your description, it would seem to me that the
              tractor has a LOT of hours on it, and an engine overhaul is probably in
              order. Aside from a torque wrench, clutch dummy shaft, and ring
              compressor, ordinary mechanic's wrenches are all you really need. You
              can probably borrow a bore gauge and micrometer to check the cylinders
              and rod/main bearings, but if they don't look too bad, I usually re-use
              them. The most common wear part on that engine is the rings, which is
              actually a Good Thing - they are easy to replace and not expensive. If
              you really don't want to dig into the engine, take it out and bring it
              to a local auto machine shop that you trust. They can deal with burned
              valves/seats, warped head, worn rod/main bearings, etc. With the
              manifold and head off, it is heavy but manageable, especially if you
              have some help.

              The main thing is to RTFM ("Read The F**** Manual").

              Mike