New Pump recommendaton for Johnson Workhorse loader

  • lou747jeeps
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
      I just bought a new Johnson loader for one of my Cub Lo-Boy 154s. I am thinking about replacing the rear hydarulic pump which works off the rear PTO. Does anybody have any recommendations? It is a SAE AA size mount. I was wondering how many gpm pump I should buy? Can I overload the system with too large of a pump. I was thinking of getting a 6 gpm pump. The original pump may not be working because the loader really lacks lifting power. It has a new control valve, so that should not be the problem. If I have air in the system, will that cause a severe lack of lifting power? If so, how do I release the air? Just keep operating the system until all the air is purged?

      Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

      Lou
    • kevin mahraun
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
        I have the 1050a on my 184.  I thought  I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that the rear pump was 6gpm.   They say the bucket will lift 550 lbs to full height.  I also saw 750lbs somewhere.   I know I've had more than 550 lbs in mine, but not at full lift.  I imagine they keep these on the lower side so you don't overload the front axle.  That would seem to be the week point, or the steering when you have a full load.  The frame seems fine for the weight, but with this short wheelbase - don't want guys driving around with 1000 lbs at full height and tipping.

        mine self purges, not sure about a Johnson.   have you tried to lift a know weight - cinderblocks etc - to see what it is capable of?  seals on the pump may need replaced.  if it's a 30 yr old pump, might be easier to replace it if the parts are not made anymore.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
          Thanks for replying and all your information. I just mounted the IH snow plow in the bucket. Now the bucket will not even lift the weight of the snow plow and bucket together. I would guess the plow weights around 100 pounds. I'm guessing I have air in the system, but may repalce the pump because it is an original cessna pump made in the 1970s. Mounting the IH plow was easy. Just drilled holes in bucket and used original mounting bracket. Now it is set up as a quick release by simply pulling a pin and removing the snow plow rod. It will be an easy conversion from winter snow plow to summertime bucket use.