184 Rockshaft, clutch, PTO and Spring connection question

  • kevin mahraun
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
    Hi, I need a little help putting my 184 back together for mowing.  Last fall I ended up removing the rockshaft to get the rear braces for the bucket to fit.  In the process the spring that goes to the PTO and pulls the belts tight also came free.  In my haste I didn't take a picture of where it was attached, just rigged it to work.
    Now I have the rockshaft back in but need to know where to place the spring.  Pretty sure one end hooks to the connector on the PTO that tightens the belts, but not sure on the other end.  I was thinking it connects to the clutch rod somewhere, but not sure.  I can't find any good pics or descriptions of it in the manual or the user guide.  It may be the same as the 154's even though the PTO is electric.  I found one diagram in the parts catalog, but doesn't give me much to go on.  If anyone can tell me where I need to attach the ends of the spring I would be very appreciative.

    Thanks!

    Kevin Mahraun
    kmahraun@...
  • kevin mahraun
    Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 499 KB
    Spent some more time with the flashlight under the 184 trying to figure out where the spring goes.  It would seem it's purpose is to disconnect the belt tension on the PTO - I assumed - when the clutch was pushed in.  Only parts of the clutch rod I could see would act opposite of that, applying more tension when the clutch went in.
    went back to the box of parts from the rockshaft removal just to make sure I didn't overlook anything.  The mower stops were in it, a few bolts and a shim - or at least that's what I thought it was.  Looked like it went with the shaft mount and added spacing - but everything looked level so I had just left it off.  In looking at it again I saw that it has a 3rd hole in it.  mounted on the frame rail it would be in line with the spring and would reach.  I didn't put it in, as I wanted to see if anyone here could confirm this.  My theory of being able to take the tension off the PTO/stop the mower etc with the clutch would be shot - but from what I could see - this is the only thing that lines up that it could attach too.  Not sure what the point is then of making it adjustable/spring'd but as long as it works I'm happy.

    Anyone have a chance to stick there head under and look?

    Thanks!

    Kevin Mahraun
    kmahraun@...

    Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2012
      The Engine Clutch and PTO have no inner connection. It has an Independent PTO (IPTO). The PTO is completely controlled by the electric PTO ON/OFF Switch.

      Kent

      [Attachment(s) from kevin mahraun included below]

      Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 20 KB
      Thanks - I found another better picture after you mentioned Independent Power TakeOff.  Looks like it's the Idler Arm, Spring and Bracket (9, 11, 15)  that need to be hooked back up.  Should be headed in the right direction.