gas evaporation

  • Ray Dobmeier
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 5, 2012
      A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap.  The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry.  The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it.  The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night.
        I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night?

    • Darrell Ratliff
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 5, 2012
        3/4 tank of gas will not evaporate that fast. You either have a leak or
        someone is stealing it.

      • thmcdowell1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 5, 2012
          Make sure it's not in ur oil

          Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2 on AT&T
        • Mark Everett
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 5, 2012
            The carbs are infamus for slowly seeping gas by the needle / seat. You must shut the gas petcock when you park it. If you figure out its being ripped off, dilute the gas with about 20% diesel and then wait to see whose car won't start in the neighborhood :) prob some punk kid putting it in his atv...

            Ray Dobmeier <rdobmeie@...> wrote:

            >A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap. The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry. The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it. The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night.
            > I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night?

          • Major
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 6, 2012

              Ray,

              I put a shut off valve between the gas tank and the carb which solved the problem. I don’t know where the gas was going but it was defiantly leaking out somewhere around the carb.

              Major

              A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap.  The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry.  The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it.  The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night.

                I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night?

            • Tim Stone
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 6, 2012
                Well there are plenty of places it can leak. The sediment bowl with the shut off valve is one place. The carb will leak out to the airfilter intake. Usually that ends up on the mowing deck so won't always be on the floor. Take off the air intake hose an see if you have gas in the hose..

                Tim S..

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 6, 2012
                  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check them out.  I was hoping it could be some odd sort of leak before I jump to the conclusion that someone is stealing the gas.

                  I put a shut off valve between the gas tank and the carb which solved the problem. I don’t know where the gas was going but it was defiantly leaking out somewhere around the carb.

                  Major

                  A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap.  The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry.  The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it.  The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night.

                    I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night?

                • Kati A
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 27, 2012
                    MIne leaks right at the shut off under the gas tank. I've never smelled it, but can see wet in that area. It leaks some with the valve off, but more with the valve on. I should replace it I guess...Kay

                    --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Dobmeier" <rdobmeie@...> wrote:

                    > A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap. The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry. The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it. The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night.
                    > I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night?

                  • clare brasseur
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 27, 2012

                      try tightening the pet cock  and sounds like your getting riped off
                      MIne leaks right at the shut off under the gas tank. I've never smelled it, but can see wet in that area. It leaks some with the valve off, but more with the valve on. I should replace it I guess...Kay

                      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Dobmeier" <rdobmeie@...> wrote:

                      > A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap. The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry. The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it. The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night.
                      > I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night?

                    • kevin mahraun
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                        Mine started leaking this fall too.  Tightened the screw on the top a few times and it helps a little but it's time to replace.  These tanks are 3/8" female, right?

                        On a side note, I see the 'tall' replacement fuel caps - is their an advantage to this over the standard one?

                        Kevin Mahraun
                        kmahraun@...
                        From: Kati A <kayca_ks@...>
                        To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Monday, February 27, 2012, 6:04 PM

                        MIne leaks right at the shut off under the gas tank. I've never smelled it, but can see wet in that area. It leaks some with the valve off, but more with the valve on. I should replace it I guess...Kay --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Dobmeier" <rdobmeie@...> wrote: > > A quick question, I have a 185 Lo-Boy with the new replacement gas cap. The problem I am having is that it seems that every time I go to use the tractor the gas tank is bone dry. The last time I used the tractor was about 3 months ago and I know I put at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in it. The tractor is stored outside in a area that I don't see at night. > I don't think I have a leak because there is no smell of gas and no discoloration on the ground. Would gas evaporate from the tractor that fast or do I have someone ripping me off at night? >
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                          International Harvester was subjected to a legal action regarding
                          problems with the original "flat" gas caps - fires resulting from
                          plugged vents. The resolution of the suit was to offer free replacement
                          caps to all owners of IH tractors with the old style caps. The successor
                          to IH still offers those caps on their website:
                          <http://www.ihgascap.com/index.aspx>

                          Some folks keep the old caps and put them on for shows, but everyone I
                          know puts the new ones on when they use the tractors.

                          I never had a problem with the old caps, but this is a case of "better
                          safe than sorry".

                          Mike

                          On 2/28/2012 11:43 AM, kevin mahraun wrote:
                          > Mine started leaking this fall too. Tightened the screw on the top a few
                          > times and it helps a little but it's time to replace. These tanks are
                          > 3/8" female, right?
                          > On a side note, I see the 'tall' replacement fuel caps - is their an
                          > advantage to this over the standard one?
                          > Kevin Mahraun
                        • Darrell Ratliff
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                            There was a problem several years ago with the old style gas caps getting
                            the vent plugged and building pressure in the fuel tank. There were some
                            resulting fires / explosions with associated injuries and a lawsuit ensued.
                            As a result - the triple baffle cap was developed and distributed by IH. It
                            fits virtually all models of IH tractors from the early days up to time of
                            the cub lo-boys and beyond. A part of the settlement of the lawsuit
                            required IH to furnish, at no cost to current owner's, a replacement cap.
                            The new design cap is to prevent pressure buildup in the fuel tank.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                              Very interesting.  Guess I will order my tall cap, and check the vent in the mean time!

                              Thanks for the info and the link to the new cap

                              Kevin Mahraun
                              kmahraun@...

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                                Ok keep in mind that the shut off with the sediment bowl has a old fashion cork gasket (between the bowl and the metal housing).. If that is leaking then you will lose gas. Also when you shut off the valve your leak will stop if it is there. The gasket is pretty easy to replace but you will need to drain the tank first. Chances are you need to clean out the screen that is above the sediment bowl. Also the Zenith carb is notorious for leaking out the air cleaner tube. If the float in the carb sticks or the needle valve is bad then it will leak into the air intake hose from the air cleaner.

                                I would troubleshoot the problem first. Also the petcock valve for the shut off can leak too. Once you determine where the leak is then dealing with it is easy. The entire valve and sediment bowl assmebly will unscrew from the bottom of the tank without removing it (do drain the tank first).

                                Troubleshoot first keeps you from unnecessary work and introducing new problems into the issue..

                                Just my 2 cents worth..

                                Tim S...

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                                  My sediment bowl was removed by the PO.  I have the petcock attached directly to the tank, running down to a standard, clear, mower filter - then down to the carb.  I always have to cut the fuel off within a minute of stopping the 184 or it will overfill the carb.  My petcock is leaking out the top handle.  I can get a right angle screw driver on it to tighten it, but will leak again after it's been opened and closed a few times.
                                  My plan is to replace the petcock and move it down a little closer to the carb and farther from the heat when the tractor has been running for a bit.  figure this is a good time to clean the tank and the carb while everything is apart.
                                  And I did request my tall gas cap.

                                  Kevin Mahraun
                                  kmahraun@...

[...]

                                • MichaelB
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                                    My Cub 185 had been smelling up my shop for the last few years.
                                    I'd tried tightening up the stuffing nut with some success for a time.
                                    Recently, I had to add some packing under the stuffing nut on the fuel shutoff valve. I had so make the strands of stuffing small, but wrap about a dozen wraps around the valve stem, then tighten up the stuffing nut again.
                                    Now, my shop is free of gas fumes!
                                    Hope this helps you.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                                      I hate to disagree with people who offer good advice on this list, but I
                                      have to say that Tim is incorrect when he says that you have to drain
                                      the tank to change the cork gasket on the fuel tap. If shut the tap off,
                                      you can very easily remove the glass bowl. In fact, that is the way it
                                      was designed - so you can remove the bowl to empty out any crud that
                                      might be trapped in it.

                                      On the other hand, the location of the tap on the LoBoy makes it
                                      difficult to make sure that you remove ALL of the old cork gasket -
                                      sometimes pieces will stick to the housing and cause problems when you
                                      install the new gasket. And if you do feel that the screen needs
                                      cleaning, then you will indeed have to remove the entire assembly to do
                                      it properly. The screen, of course, has nothing to do with gas leaking,
                                      but I have had very old screens blocked completely by "crud" from the tank.

                                      As far as the tap leaking, there is a gland nut where the shut-off lever
                                      comes out of the tap assembly. Sometimes you can just tighten it a
                                      little bit to stop the drip. The lever should not turn with one finger -
                                      it should be somewhat hard to turn to make a good seal.

                                      A problem I had with my 184 whose tank was leaking turned out to be
                                      something entirely different: the tap itself was loose in the threads at
                                      the tank. When I had the tractor apart, I was able to wrap it with a
                                      single layer of Teflon tape and take a full turn on it. No more leaks.

                                      Mike

                                      On 2/28/2012 1:49 PM, Tim Stone wrote:
                                      > Ok keep in mind that the shut off with the sediment bowl has a old
                                      > fashion cork gasket (between the bowl and the metal housing).. If that
                                      > is leaking then you will lose gas. Also when you shut off the valve your
                                      > leak will stop if it is there. The gasket is pretty easy to replace but
                                      > you will need to drain the tank first. Chances are you need to clean out
                                      > the screen that is above the sediment bowl. Also the Zenith carb is
                                      > notorious for leaking out the air cleaner tube. If the float in the carb
                                      > sticks or the needle valve is bad then it will leak into the air intake
                                      > hose from the air cleaner.
                                      > I would troubleshoot the problem first. Also the petcock valve for the
                                      > shut off can leak too. Once you determine where the leak is then dealing
                                      > with it is easy. The entire valve and sediment bowl assmebly will
                                      > unscrew from the bottom of the tank without removing it (do drain the
                                      > tank first).
                                      > Troubleshoot first keeps you from unnecessary work and introducing new
                                      > problems into the issue..
                                      > Just my 2 cents worth..
                                      > Tim S...
                                    • ohyeah76
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
                                        Why would you need to remove the entire assembly to change/clean the screen? Its no more difficult to change/clean than replacing the cork gasket and requires no more steps.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 29, 2012
                                          I wrote "And if you do feel that the screen needs
                                          cleaning, then you will indeed have to remove the entire assembly
                                          to do it properly". Again, this is only because of the location of the
                                          tap and the difficulty of working on it while it is in place. Draining
                                          the tank isn't a big deal for me - I just stick a hose on the end of the
                                          fuel line and let it run into a container (unless, of course, you happen
                                          to have the tank full at the time!). If you are younger and more agile
                                          than I am (and pretty much everybody else is at this point), the screen
                                          can be removed and cleaned without removing the tap from the tank.

                                          Mike