Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Pto RPM's????

  • John Adams
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      Mike is it fare to say you can only run equipment on the PTO that was made for the CubLo boy.
      I had considered a tiller but I think the PTO is turning to fast for any other type of tiller?  Also is the PTO running backwards from most empluments operating direction?

      thanks
      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        I’m not Mike but that is correct. PTO implements must be cub-specific
        because the cub pto runs backwards compared to normal ptos. There were
        reducer / reversers made but they are rare and expensive if you can find
        one. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on a number series lo-boy.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          The answer is "yes" to both question. There was a gearbox that was made
          to be used with the Cubs that reversed the direction and dropped the
          speed to about 540 rpm and provided a standard 1-3/8" spline output
          shaft. Those gizmo's show up on eBay from time to time. The problem with
          the Farmall Cub running "standard" implements was that no Category I
          three point hitch came with the Cub. I suppose that, using the
          International Lo-Boy with the optional three point hitch would get over
          that obstacle, but I really wonder if it is worth the trouble.

          The other problem with running a tiller on any of these tractors is that
          the ground speed is really too fast for tilling, so you need the
          "creeper" auxiliary gear box. (I do happen to have a '48 Farmall Cub
          with a Howard Rotovator and a Howard two speed rear end, but that is
          another story.)
          <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/howard3.html>

          Mike