185cubloboy

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
      how do i remove the steering wheel without damage?
    • hamiltonbobcubs
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
        Phil,
        Sit on tractor and wedge your legs under the wheel, then tap with a hammer. If this does not work--
        I use a large bearing seperator. It is a puller with a disk botton that is better than claws that will just break the plastic.
        Hamiltonbobscubs

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
          Phil,

          Like HamiltonBob says.
          I use a Harbor Freight Bearing Separator/Puller Set #93980. I put tension on the puller and then give the puller a sharp rap with a 16-24oz hammer. Tighten the puller and rap again. Until it comes loose. Don't use a heavy blow, just a sharp rap. The object is to loosen the steering wheel, not drive the steering shaft through the bottom of the steering gear case.
          One thing to add, I stick a bolt into the end of the steering shaft to protect the threads.

          Kent

        • Tim Stone
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
            I agree with Kent but one change.. Soak the splines with WD40.. Tap lightly a couple of times and reapply to set up the penetrating oil into the splines.. Allow time for it to soak in.. It make a difference when getting the wheel to break free of the shaft..

            Tim S...

            I use a Harbor Freight Bearing Separator/Puller Set #93980. I put tension on the puller and then give the puller a sharp rap with a 16-24oz hammer. Tighten the puller and rap again. Until it comes loose. Don't use a heavy blow, just a sharp rap. The object is to loosen the steering wheel, not drive the steering shaft through the bottom of the steering gear case.
            One thing to add, I stick a bolt into the end of the steering shaft to protect the threads.

            Kent

          • Phil Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
              Thank you for your advise and help.I:m trying to replace throttle cable,and some wires.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
                If the steering wheel gives you too much trouble, you may consider removing the fuel tank for access. Just three bolts and the fuel line. I often find that the front tank mount needs some sort of repair anyhow.
                Kent

                On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Phil Smith <beththecow@...> wrote:

                Thank you for your advise and help.I:m trying to replace throttle cable,and some wires.

              • Elmo Favors
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
                  man !!!!! i feel for you ; my throttle cable came loose and i tred to replaceit with no success so i just mounted one off a lawnmower in a different place and it works just fine < not stock but ? >   never thought about removing the tank . everyone  have a great new year.
                  Thank you for your advise and help.I:m trying to replace throttle cable,and some wires.